• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Making Your Own Gunsmithing Tools

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cruzatte

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been interested in the whole craft of muzzleloading for many years. Even down to fabricating tools and jigs in the gun building workshop. Lately, I've been fascinated by this touch hole counter sink tool.
HoleCone2_zps3e382ca3.jpg

And upon close inspection, it seems like it would be easy to duplicate. Question is where to acquire the four gears needed. Gears I've seen so far for sale on the web look too flimsy, or sold in quantities I don't want, and possibly the wrong size.

As far as the tool shaft goes, do I detect a weld just to the left of the large gear/crank assembly?

The burr looks like it could be salvaged from a dremel tool.

If anyone has copied this tool, I'd very much like to exchange private messages with you. This tool just looks too cool to be ignored.

I know of a tool like that with the name Boggs stamped on it. Could that be Boggs Tool company? We used the tool to cone the inside of the vent on a shotgun I built. It didn't cut a deep enough cone and I ended up installing a vent liner to speed up ignition. Something to keep in mind if you build one is to make sure that it will cut a deep enough cone which depends on the barrel thickness at the breech.
https://boggstool.com/

I know of a tool like that with the name Boggs stamped on it. Could that be Boggs Tool company? We used the tool to cone the inside of the vent on a shotgun I built. It didn't cut a deep enough cone and I ended up installing a vent liner to speed up ignition. Something to keep in mind if you build one is to make sure that it will cut a deep enough cone which depends on the barrel thickness at the breech.
https://boggstool.com/
I didn't see the tool pictured in my OP listed. But it certainly looked like the burr could be purchased from Boggs Tool Co. I'll keep looking.

One more possible source is "The Gunsmith of Grenville County" by Peter Alexander. Rumor on the street is that the book contains a description of the tool. I have checked with interlibrary loan for a copy of the book.

Why don't you make your own gears? They are simple straight toothed gears which can be cut with a file and time. If you have a lathe or mill you can do it in a short amount of time. It is a simple tool - just takes some time to make it.

I had thought of that. But spending five or ten bucks makes more sense than spending several hundred on a lathe, or mill which I don't know how to set up and operate.

I had thought of that. But spending five or ten bucks makes more sense than spending several hundred on a lathe, or mill which I don't know how to set up and operate.
Yeah, but then you'd have a mill and lathe -- and all the horizons that would open up. :) Not sure several hundred would do it -- except for maybe an old lathe and mill (not CNC) that you could pick up at auction. My son did that about 10 years ago and it didn't cost much since very few people want those now. Of course, you have to be able to move them. I won't go into how we did that with just a pickup. 😂😂

Years ago when I was building airplanes instead of longrifles (I know, shoulda gone with the ML's), I got some similar gears from Grainger. Don't know if they still carry them or not, but it would be pretty quick to check with their on-line catalog.

I didn't see the tool pictured in my OP listed. But it certainly looked like the burr could be purchased from Boggs Tool Co. I'll keep looking.

One more possible source is "The Gunsmith of Grenville County" by Peter Alexander. Rumor on the street is that the book contains a description of the tool. I have checked with interlibrary loan for a copy of the book.
Page 303 of Peter Alexander's most excellent book "The Gunsmith of Grenville County" He uses coned replaceable touch holes .
Every one should have a copy of this book .
P1020164.JPG

Page 303 of Peter Alexander's most excellent book "The Gunsmith of Grenville County" He uses coned replaceable touch holes .
Every one should have a copy of this book .
View attachment 131545
Thanks for the scan. I have a folder for just such illustrations
Boggs Tool does not make this tool. It is made by Robert Boggs. He is a member of the ALR forum. He makes several really high quality tools geared toward muzzleloading. I have bought several of his tools. A great guy to deal with.
Ah...that makes a difference. If I can't make this tool, then I know who to contact. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back