• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cutting the wheel-lock pan - wow...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ChrisPer said:
Leonardo, the Wheel Lock, and the Milling Process
Author(s): Vernard Foley, Steven Rowley, David F. Cassidy, F. Charles Logan
Source: Technology and Culture, Vol. 24, No. 3 (Jul., 1983), pp. 399-427

Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/3104759

The article has photos, etc, but having to click the copyright agreement means I won't post the whole thing.

The paper can be had by going to a university or other library with access to JSTOR and downloading it like I did. If you can't do this, an email to thinkshard at yahoo.com with your email address may be helpful.

Chris

Thanks for the information on Foley's paper, it is great.
I keep re-reading it. I am learning. :grin:

It's a “must read” if you are wanting a wheellock.

Thanks again. :hatsoff:
Tinker2

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to be of service!
I don't check the above email very frequently, others may like to email thinkfocus at iinet.net.au if they are looking for the paper.

Last edited by a moderator:
ChrisPer,
Thanks so much for posting this, and bringing us back to a discussion of Wheellocks, a favorite of mine.
This was fascinating to read. There examination of original locks is just the kind of revealing evidence that so holds my attention. I now see that I erred seriously in trying to hand fit the pan to the wheel. Even though three of my locks actually work, prime will get dragged out of the pan when the wheel is released to spin.
I will disagree on one small item. I absolutely know that if one has the right pyrites, the wheel strikes sparks off the pyrite. Pyrites that were too hard didn't strike fire and too soft crumbled before striking fire. Other types of stone, like flint, will strike fire off the wheel if the wheel is not too hard. Grzrob has discovered that chert is very reliable in my RifleShoppe lock. Chert will definately strike fire off the wheel. Just my humble experience.
But thanks again for posting the article. If I get a chance to build another lock, I can use this information and my own experiences to build a better one.
volatpluvia
Interesting re Chert never tried that ,Flint is hard on the wheel .Pyrites is such a variable genrerally gives sparks but needs constant adjusting or replaceing it . OK hunting poor sort of rifle for a 13 shot match .
Rudyard take on them

Interesting re Chert never tried that ,Flint is hard on the wheel .Pyrites is such a variable genrerally gives sparks but needs constant adjusting or replaceing it . OK hunting poor sort of rifle for a 13 shot match .
Rudyard take on them
Very old thread....but good info. Flint and Chert with a minimum hardness of 7 is excellent in flintlocks. I live in the heart of Chert country...Georgetown Chert....yep, live in Georgetown. I have tried using chert in my flintlock...a good piece sparks as good as black flint, maybe not as good a European flint, but Stuff is everywhere and sometimes hard to tell from flint and visa versa. I will not use chert in my wheelock....much too hard on the wheel and I don't believe sparks as well as Pyrite, yes as is historically correct.

My pyrite(s) won't work in a flintlock! Will they work in a wheellock? Point is: how do you know if you've got a working wheelie? Should a pyrite fire a flintlock?
Old post indeed .. but many MISS this key point ... in a:

• Wheellock - It is the bits of rock that spark, as scraped off the Pyrite , steel wheel against Pyrite

• Flintlock - It is the bits of steel that spark, as scraped off the Frizzen by the Flint, sharp HARD rock against steel

Latest posts

Back