• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Making ramrods from scratch , from a tree .

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Was telling someone about making g ramrods from a hickory tree and I couldnt find any pictures of the time I recorded the work but they just popped up in FB memories... . Just thought it was interesting , kinda neat . Its not like I do this for every ramrod ive made or I make , last dozen 1/2" hickory rods I got from Log Cabin , good price too ! , but ....when cutting firewood every once in awhile ya come across a hickory tree and I can't think of just burnin up all those potential ramrods . Any who ....just some pics of from tree to ramrod ...kinda neat

Last edited:
Wedging that trunk to split ....

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1690725909786.jpg
    FB_IMG_1690725909786.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1690725867681.jpg
    FB_IMG_1690725867681.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1690725906641.jpg
    FB_IMG_1690725906641.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 0
Then down to workable size say approximately 1" square , then its rasp time at the gun bench , taper it down from 1/2" down to 5/16" .... Just throw the extras in the corner for later builds .... Neat stuff .

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1690725892748.jpg
    FB_IMG_1690725892748.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1690725889864.jpg
    FB_IMG_1690725889864.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 0
I went through my home made split ramrod phase too. It's a lot of work for a ramrod!
I still have a piece of log that's 8 foot long in case I build any long barreled guns again.

I went through my home made split ramrod phase too. It's a lot of work for a ramrod!
I still have a piece of log that's 8 foot long in case I build any long barreled guns again.
Sure is a bunch of work ! Was just kinda neat to do a few times , LOL .... I call it " Going all Wallace Gusler " LOL .... :D

Looks like some good bow wood there too. I'd probably split away the heartwood for ramrods and use the outer layers of sapwood for bows.
Oh yeah ! Shaggy bark hickory makes good bows too . Ive made a few of them . I always split off the sap wood with froe and right there at that transition used that as the back of the bow . Worked good . Shag bark is a bit knotty for both though ...

Oh yeah ! Shaggy bark hickory makes good bows too . Ive made a few of them . I always split off the sap wood with froe and right there at that transition used that as the back of the bow . Worked good .
That's part of the beauty of whitewood bows like hickory, peel off the bark, and there is your bow's back, no chasing a ring. Shagbark shoots faster than other hickories, all else being equal, not sure why.

That's part of the beauty of whitewood bows like hickory, peel off the bark, and there is your bow's back, no chasing a ring. Shagbark shoots faster than other hickories, all else being equal, not sure why.
Very interesting . I'm no expert on bows , ive only made three , but its a very interesting subject . Been years ago and can't remember the books name , but made my first two bows by his book and then John McPherson's book , love that book . Good stuff .

Latest posts

Back