• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Making flints

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok fellow fainter.
As I an not a knapper, but a pressure flaked. I cut my slabs for points on a saw, than pressure flake them.

I had a thought, yea I know, stop that.
Why can't I cut my own flints?
I have a wet saw.
Cut the thickness , length and width.
From flint rocks I find.
The Costco parking g lots here, in north Texas, use bull gravel, but it's flint.

Any ideas? Thoughts?

Mark

it is a matter of what you want. there will be some that will be assembling a stake with staves for to burn you at the stake party.
I knap all of my flints but as that old guy with the scythe approaches i am thinking of sawing some.
the only problem i can foresee is having fissures in a blank and having it break in a unusable way.
heck if you saw the blanks right and pressure flake the sized flints i would bet you could pass them off as knapped.
go for it ! would love to see pictures of the process.

it is a matter of what you want. there will be some that will be assembling a stake with staves for to burn you at the stake party.
I knap all of my flints but as that old guy with the scythe approaches i am thinking of sawing some.
the only problem i can foresee is having fissures in a blank and having it break in a unusable way.
heck if you saw the blanks right and pressure flake the sized flints i would bet you could pass them off as knapped.
go for it ! would love to see pictures of the process.
I will try it in a few days. Give me an excuse to go play in the garage if it's not too hot.

I will let you know. But it was an idea.
Mark

I’ve used my wet tile saw with a diamond blade to finish knapped pieces into serviceable flints. Not saying the sawing won’t work as I’ve never tried it. But the Chert/Flint wants to split a certain way. If you have any problems with them holding together you could try knapping a piece to a smaller size and then shaping with the tile saw. Safety glasses highly recommended.

only time i have used a saw is when the flint i am knapping has a turtle back that stubbornly refuses to chip off.
think i will give sawing some a go though. am getting low on 3/4 x 5/8 flints.
That’s the main thing I use the tile saw for, removing humpbacks. Works good for that.

Attachments

• 20230621_203244.jpg
    20230621_203244.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230621_203200.jpg
    20230621_203200.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230621_203156.jpg
    20230621_203156.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230621_203142.jpg
    20230621_203142.jpg