• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Traditions Ketucky Pistol Trigger Spring?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If there's one thing that irritates me about the Traditions Kentucky percussion pistol kit, it's the lack of a trigger spring. That thing just dangling there and waving back and forth in the breeze isn't the kind of trigger action I can tolerate. Have any of you guys that have built one of these kits added a trigger spring?

I don't know the correct terminology, so I hope you don't mind me referring to the flat blade inside the trigger plate and part of the trigger as the "trigger bar". In my mind, that's what translates trigger motion to the sear to release the hammer. Here's a quickie line drawing side view of the basic trigger mechanism:

trigger_spring_0.jpeg

Option #1:

Add a compression coil spring that's hooked to the trigger bar via a small hole drilled into it and which abuts and is compressed by the top of the action cavity:

trigger_spring_1.jpeg

Option #2:

A spring steel leaf spring that's attached by a srew to the top of the action cavity, compresses against and freely rides along the top of the trigger bar:

trigger_spring_2.jpeg

Option #3:

I don't know the proper name for this type of spring, but it's got a horizontal coil spring in the middle with two legs, each leg has a right angle bend or "peg"; one leg could sit against and be entrapped by the pivot pin retention screw, with the other leg attached by its peg through a small hole drilled into the trigger bar:

trigger_spring_3.jpeg

I think that all three options could be made to fit and to not interfere with the sear's activating arm, which basically moves straight up and down when contacted by the trigger bar.

Opinions? Better ideas? Thanks....

Last edited:
Back