• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Magnum percussion caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfisher

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What performance issues may I expect to see in going from CCI # 11 caps to Remington # 11 magnum caps. Could this effect accuracy or point of impact?

I kinda doubt you'll notice a single thing, but my experience was going from CCI standards to their mags. I was halfway through a carton of 10 tins before I noticed they were mags. Danged if I could tell a difference even after I read the label.

I tend to agree with BrownBear. I use CCI, CCI Magnum and RWS1075 and have noticed no difference. But I am happy when I get 4" groups at 100 yards. If you are getting cloverleaf grouping maybe you might see an effect. Give it a try and let us know what you find out.

While I heard of some people complaining about their groups when using magnum caps instead of the standard caps, I have never noticed any difference,. They both go boom! :idunno:

Sam Fadela did some testing for the Lyman black powder manual.

His observation was that the mag caps had more of a "sustained burn" compared with the (regular) caps which threw more of a "flash" at the powder.

The conclusion was that the Mag caps would probably be better when trying ignite the "substitute" powders.

If using real black, I would personally suspect, that since once the powder column itself is ignited it becomes self igniting/consuming (and the cap has little to no effect after initial ignition), that you would not see any noticeable difference.

However, a Mag cap may provide better "initial" ignition under all circumstances.

I use them interchangeably (CCI Mag's) with regular CCI #11 and unless I check what tin they come out of I certainly couldn't tell you which was which...

Well thanks to all of you for responding helps ease my mind a bit cause I bought two cases.

I started shooting a bench gun last year. Many of the members said stay away from the Remington caps. . . that was after I bought several tins. I went out and bought CCI.

I have used both since and I can't tell the difference. Based on my range experience, the Remingtons work just fine. Furthermore, I have found them to be less expensive that the CCI. I plan on sticking with the Remingtons.

oneoldboot

I've used them all, and they all go bang when I pull the trigger. I cannot tell any difference at all. Put it this way, in galamb's response he noted a study that was done on the topic. If it takes a study to find out what the difference is, just buy whatever is available and makes some smoke.

I found a great deal on Remington 11's, so that's what I use.

It's a marketing gimmick....many relate superior performance w/ "magnum". I've used both and found no visible difference asre accuracy or POI......Fred

flehto said:
It's a marketing gimmick....many relate superior performance w/ "magnum". I've used both and found no visible difference asre accuracy or POI......Fred
Absolutely and probably no difference in their construction what so ever!

B.

Only difference i notice with mag caps was they didn't fit. Bought a bunch of cci #11 mags and had to file the nipple to get them to seat. Can't tell the difference between them and anything else.

Put a ramrod down the barrel with a patch on the jag. Then fire one Remington, Then do the same with a #11 mag. You will see the difference. The #11 will burn the patch darker. Ron

Would there be a difference in ignition of synthetics compared to standard black powder?

I have used both and never even bothered to take notice.

Are the magnums hotter during ignition?

If so, I would think they stand a better chance for more reliable ignition of synthetic powder charges, since these powders have a higher flashpoint temperature compared to black powder.

Even with that said, I have not really noticed any differences.

My hunting rifles like Triple Seven 2F and when I started using it I went with the CCI #11 mag cap. I've had good results with Triple Seven using reg caps too. since I have plenty of the mag caps, I have stayed with them for hunting. Other than hunting, I use the reg CCI #11 caps.

Over the years I've used CCI, Remington, Winchester, Dixie, Navy Arms and RWS 1075(Dynamit Nobel) caps.

I haven't seen any Winchester, Navy Arms or Dixie caps for a long time.

Anyway, they all seem to work fine with real black powder.

Pyrodex is another matter and the regular power Remington and CCI caps will sometimes cause a slightly delayed ignition.

The Magnum CCI caps seem to me to be about the same as the RWS 1075 which are (to me) noticeably hotter than any of the regular #11 caps.

When shooting Pyrodex, the CCI Magnum or RWS 1075 caps never seem to give the delayed ignition I mentioned above.

While I'm writing, a few years ago several people said the Magnum caps and RWS caps were too powerful. They maintained that the power of the caps blast would move the patched ball in the barrel before the powder ignited and this movement would ruin the guns accuracy.

Just to find out for myself I patched a .350 diameter roundball with a .010 thick lubricated patch and ran it down the barrel of a little .36 caliber Derringer I have. Notice, this is a pretty loose patch/ball combination in a .36 caliber bore.

I then measured the distance from the muzzle down to the ball to the nearest thousandth of an inch.

I capped the pistol with both CCI Magnum and with RWS 1075 caps and popped them, taking accurate measurements down to the ball after each try. (I fired 5 of each cap for a total of 10).

The bottom line is, even with this loose ball/patch combination, the ball didn't move up the bore even one thousandth of an inch.

Knowing you folks like pictures, the pistol I used for this test is shown below.
It is a brass hexagon barreled kit gun and it works very well. I don't recall who made it and I've never seen another one like it.

Back