• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Made the Kibler Leap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 155486
I’ve had a couple setbacks…

1. Cannot get the ramrod into the channel. So note to self, when pinning the entry thimble. Have the ramrod inplace, then drill the pin locations. So darn…

2. The sights Do Not Fit into the dovetails cut into the barrel, I need to recut them.

3. The lock screw, is misaligned. It took me 2 hours of carefully trimming small amounts of wood, before I could barely get them aligned and the lock installed.

4. I still need to finish the lock in the same antique grey finish as the rest of the hardware. Problem is…I know I can get the lock taken apart; not so sure I can reverse that process.

View attachment 155490
Finish came out nice though a bit shiny…it will dull with time and use.
You probably know more about this than I do, but to thin down my ramrod on my SMR, I checked it up in a cordless drill and folded some sandpaper around it. Sand and check, sand and check until I had the last 10 inches or so reduced to where it would fit without any issues. Beautiful rifle you have there.

How did your naturally aged UV light cherry stock come out?

I got detoured away from my build by a few frustrations with my abilities and a couple of unforeseen life events. (A ruptured appendix is no joke.)

My rifle is currently in its box underneath the bed in our spare bedroom. The plan is to restart with a steadier hand and a calmer mind in the new year. I'll post some updates as I progress.

I got detoured away from my build by a few frustrations with my abilities and a couple of unforeseen life events. (A ruptured appendix is no joke.)

My rifle is currently in its box underneath the bed in our spare bedroom. The plan is to restart with a steadier hand and a calmer mind in the new year. I'll post some updates as I progress.
I’m sorry to hear that and I’ll pray that you heal quickly and can resume your kit soon

I know of which you speak. I fell and tore both shoulders rotator cuff and biceps this summer. Surgery is done on both so I’m in the pt portion of my recovery. I have a Woodsrunner sitting upstairs in my room that I stare at everyday. Two weeks since last surgery. I can’t hold out much longer. I’m going to have to start a slow and easy does it build.

11BangBang just finished a Kibler Kit….36 calibre Kibler SMR

Interesting Video , the movement of the grass and weeds indicates a cross breeze of approximately 10 mph which may move that ball about too much for an accurate zero . Google Beaufort Scale .
Jim Kibler sure builds a great kit . One big problem with manufacturing kits is the great variation in the ability of the builders , which in the long run somehow reflects back on the maker not the builder . From what I have observed these kits are easy to build and are well supported by Kiblers , with the result that all the rifles I have seen so far have turned out very well and some absolutely superbly.

I have my locked disassembled and blued. Far from perfect but good enough for the likes of me. I like it. I'm trying to get this thing reassembled and I'm stuck on the fly. I've watched Jim's videos (which are fantastic) but they are short on detail and are done with a Colonial lock. "Put the fly in." I don't know how to do that.

I wish I had taken a photo of the back of my lock before I took it apart. Does anyone have a photo of the back of a Kibler SMR lock they could post?

I have my locked disassembled and blued. Far from perfect but good enough for the likes of me. I like it. I'm trying to get this thing reassembled and I'm stuck on the fly. I've watched Jim's videos (which are fantastic) but they are short on detail and are done with a Colonial lock. "Put the fly in." I don't know how to do that.

I wish I had taken a photo of the back of my lock before I took it apart. Does anyone have a photo of the back of a Kibler SMR lock they could post?
Don’t have my lock apart now, but maybe the photos will help. Obviously the fly is on the lock plate side of the tumbler. If you’re unsure, I advise giving Kibler’s a call. They’ll walk you through it.

And the photos are at full cock.

Attachments

• 12900380-85AC-4ACB-868B-B96449689E90.jpeg
    12900380-85AC-4ACB-868B-B96449689E90.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 1B41B750-D2CD-49EC-9A0C-A7DA2555C84C.jpeg
    1B41B750-D2CD-49EC-9A0C-A7DA2555C84C.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Don’t have my lock apart now, but maybe the photos will help. Obviously the fly is on the lock plate side of the tumbler. If you’re unsure, I advise giving Kibler’s a call. They’ll walk you through it.

And the photos are at full cock.
How do I know whether I have my tumbler mounted to the cock at the correct orientation?

How do I know whether I have my tumbler mounted to the cock at the correct orientation?
The stirrup mount for the mainspring faces bottom left which will place your half cock and full cock notches at the bottom.

Attachments

• C1CB3F83-C37A-4E2D-80CA-EBD310623B86.jpeg
    C1CB3F83-C37A-4E2D-80CA-EBD310623B86.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 06BC4A41-1B3C-41DC-BDDD-5DA54F92ED58.jpeg
    06BC4A41-1B3C-41DC-BDDD-5DA54F92ED58.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 890A9BAD-81C9-4FF9-8C5D-C86C1050B370.jpeg
    890A9BAD-81C9-4FF9-8C5D-C86C1050B370.jpeg
    844.8 KB · Views: 0
The stirrup mount for the mainspring faces bottom left which will place your half cock and full cock notches at the bottom.
This helps perfectly. Thank you. I just needed a visualization of how things were supposed to be oriented. Also, I had some confusion about the fly. In actuality I had never separated the fly from the tumbler in the first place. It's moving forward. If I ever take it apart again I'll know what I'm doing!

I'm draw filing my barrel today. It's warmed up a bit and in the mid-60s.

I'm always happiest when I'm working on something. I never really worked with my hands until I was in my late 40's. I was a bookish guy and worked in banking. I got incredibly burnt out. I quit that world and started a new life in 2012, got sober in 2013, and married my wife in 2018. Life is good. Happiest of New Years to all of you.

Attachments

• CFG SMR Barrel.jpeg
    CFG SMR Barrel.jpeg
    649.8 KB · Views: 0
Back