• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Made the Kibler Leap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, so imagine getting circumsized with a flint knife yikes!🤔
Back in June, I was chipping rock trying to make gun flints…not wearing gloves. The flint chards were so sharp, that when it cut…I didn’t feel it. Finally had to take a break, the rocks were so slick with blood, I could not hold them solidly…posted the much less graphic images from early on
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/chert.145705/page-4
And I’ve gotten so good at making gun flints…that I still buy them.

Back in June, I was chipping rock trying to make gun flints…not wearing gloves. The flint chards were so sharp, that when it cut…I didn’t feel it. Finally had to take a break, the rocks were so slick with blood, I could not hold them solidly…posted the much less graphic images from early on
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/chert.145705/page-4
And I’ve gotten so good at making gun flints…that I still buy them.
Thats hysterical(knapping flint is an art and extermly difficult ya me too)

After a couple of years of waffling I finally ordered a Jim Kibler kit today. I think my wife got tired of me fawning over the pictures on Jim's website and said "Just do it, already."

I'm going with the SMR in .36 caliber in cherry. I've got a box of cherry scraps coming that I bought off Etsy to test stains and finishes on. I want to try the oven cleaner/lye thing and also just the sunlight/UV method.

I'm excited.
I want so bad I'm excited for you. Keep us updated on it so we can follow your build.

You guys are killing me!

I'm having a hard time deciding what to go with. But, I don't hunt anymore, except the occasional prairie dog or coyote. So, I don't think there's much of a reason to go above a .50. I already have a .45 and a .50, both production guns.

I think I'm leaning towards the SMR in .36. Now if I can just figure out which wood! I kind of want walnut, but would really like to be able to pick the grain. Oh, decisions!

After a couple of years of waffling I finally ordered a Jim Kibler kit today. I think my wife got tired of me fawning over the pictures on Jim's website and said "Just do it, already."

I'm going with the SMR in .36 caliber in cherry. I've got a box of cherry scraps coming that I bought off Etsy to test stains and finishes on. I want to try the oven cleaner/lye thing and also just the sunlight/UV method.

I'm excited.
I have a 45 Kibler in the white to be mailed this Friday to me. This is a SMR, let me know when you get one and I'll share my experience with mine. I just realized when you started this thread. I'll share my story anyway when mine arrives.

I have a 45 Kibler in the white to be mailed this Friday to me. This is a SMR, let me know when you get one and I'll share my experience with mine. I just realized when you started this thread. I'll share my story anyway when mine arrives.
Mine is finished,browned the metal and used Permalyn sealer from Kibler on the walnut stock. Named her Nancy after Nancy Hart from Georgia, Revolutionary War heroine. Haven't shot her yet,making a bag now,already made patch knife and powder measure. This rifle is the dream I imagined. Oh yeah,molded about a quart of .440 rbs.

My .40 cal SMR was a joy to create and is a jewel to shoot. My frizzen, i found, would wind up rebounding and closing on the flint. (By the way this did not interfere with the accuracy, bullseye out of the box). I called Jim and he immediately told Lorie to send a prepaid shipping label. As I write, Jim is fine tuning the lock at his expence.. I am honored to buy, build and shoot a product designed with intense integrity, the hands of a master craftsman and the deep soul of an artist.

Attachments

• CDC175CC-2328-4B60-8797-08EB8589318F.jpeg
    CDC175CC-2328-4B60-8797-08EB8589318F.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
My .40 cal SMR was a joy to create and is a jewel to shoot. My frizzen, i found, would wind up rebounding and closing on the flint. (By the way this did not interfere with the accuracy, bullseye out of the box). I called Jim and he immediately told Lorie to send a prepaid shipping label. As I write, Jim is fine tuning the lock at his expence.. I am honored to buy, build and shoot a product designed with intense integrity, the hands of a master craftsman and the deep soul of an artist.
You will love that lock! I am still on the original flint with over 40 shots, always ignites the pan with either FFF or FF. Sparks like July 4th on my Kibler .54 Colonial.

By the way nice easel! An easel is always a good way to display art. Beautiful art too… great job!

The testing continues. I played around a bit this evening with the Laurel Mountain Forge cherry stain. Undiluted it is RED. I mixed one small part stain with 10-15 parts turpentine and the results are the top sample below. It's reddish but unappealing to me.

The bottom board is a second THIN coat of Tried and True BLO and beeswax. This is lovely. My cell phone photo doesn't do it justice. It's rich and warm and looks like wood should look to me.

View attachment 141394
I have seen photos of wonderfully stained and treated cherry gunstocks on the forums and on Jim's website but I don't feel like that's the way I want to go. Everything I've done so far leads me to believe that time and natural light are the way to go with my stock.
How did your naturally aged UV light cherry stock come out?

Back