• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

made it to "roll yer own balls"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wattsy

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I started my MLing career with a shiny new plastic stocked inline....Shortly after finding this forum I switched to a host of TC sidelocks and then made it to a kit gun with another in the works. (Cap Lock as well)
So it was with projectiles; starting out with "Oregon legal" connicals and then moving to round balls, thanx exclusively to this forum as well...
Today I finished my first batch of 100-ish .530 balls. (Poured over two sessions) I got the Lee pot with Out the bottom pour spout, settled on 6.75 for the temp, and made a pour laddle out of a stainless gravey spoon with an added wood handle. Got a Lee 2 cavity .530 mold and a couple hundred lbs of plumbers lead.
1st...WOW that litte Lee pot got it melted QUICK! Perviously I had made copious amounts of fishing sinkers from tire weights over the kitchen stove or colman stove...MUCH slower to melt.
2nd The Lee mold worked VERY well....balls didnt stick, lead didnt over-run the mold, and the sprue cutter took-er off right flush.
Put the balls in a little plastic container and rattled them around for a few and they came out looking freshly swagged. Weighed them and just rounding to the Even # 226 grains, I was good on at least 9 outta 10...only 1 heavier and a few that were lighter.
All in all a very satisfying start....Now off to the range!

yes, let the 'balls' jokes spring forth!

glad you've discovered the fun of 'running ball,' and if you shoot them into a kitty litter jug (after you use the litter, refill the jug with sand) and then screen out the balls and remelt them and use them over and over again.

"Rollin' yer own" can be, and is, very gratifying.

Where I live, we only have a license plate on the rear of the vehicle. Where there would be a front plate, my son bought one for me that proclaims
"It takes balls to shoot a muzzleloader."

whenever I qualify my station I use the same 2 lanes to qualify with the shotgun slugs and right after the qual I'll go out to the back stop and pick up the 1oz pills, they aren't pure but they're pretty soft and fine for practice balls. If you look around you'll find a source of free lead making the sport even more affordable.

Back