• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to me casting equipment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1BadDart

45 Cal.
Reaction score
A couple months ago my 86 yo Uncle stopped by to pick up a little project I'd worked on for him. I had just finished cleaning my muzzleloader and was putting my stuff away when he arrived. He looked my rifle over and asking a few questions. He picked up a box of balls and I explained that I had cast them but was not very happy with my Lee pot and I was considering finding the stuff and starting ladle casting.

Fast forward a couple months and he stops by again and said he had some stuff for me. I go out to his van to find casting equipment. The Lyman hot pot belonged to his neighbor who passed away probably forty years ago. It heated up fine but didn't pour well so I emptied it out and gave it a good cleaning and it works fine, better than my Lee. I poured 225 .40 caliber balls with it yesterday afternoon.

He gave me everything but the Lyman hot pot, told me to keep it and if he ever needs it he knows where it is.

IMG_6982.jpg

I don't see the need to waste my time fixing the lee 💩. I'll use the Lyman for pouring balls and jigs and use the cast iron pot and ladle for making ingots. :horseback:

I use 3 Lee pots. Yup, each will leak a bit from time to time but I've found using clean lead, keeping it hot, and keeping casting tempo high, it's not a problem. When they do leak a bit, just a twist or two on the pin usually puts a stop to it.

I have a Lyman pot like that. I've had to re-wire it a couple times, and I let the smoke out again this past week casting some balls for a friend. It's never a good thing to let smoke out of anything electric. I got mine used, no idea how old it is, but I have owned it at least ten years, and have cast thousands of bullets with it. I decided to get a brand new pot with the built in PID controller.

I'm afraid the pot is going to be unusable, it appears it was wired direct, bypassing the thermostat. Most of the insulation was burned off the wires, luckily, I didn't get shocked or trip a breaker. Lyman doesn't support this pot any longer and I understand. What surprised me was that they only support (parts) for their "Mag 25 Digital Furnace". Their "Big Dipper" has no parts support, if it breaks after the warranty period, it's junk. A sign of the throwaway society we now live in I suppose.

Lyman pot.jpg

Latest posts

Back