• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Made another wood box

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frontier's

Buckskins & Black Powder
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I enjoy making them and am going to start making them to sell at rendezvous' that I visit throughout the year.

This is my latest and measures 14x 8 1/4" outside diam.

All the wood I used, my buddy cut on his saw mill from dead ponderosa pine. I havent added a closure strap yet, not 100% sure i want to.
20211215_152731.jpg

20211215_152824(0).jpg

20211215_152807.jpg

20211215_152843.jpg

Nice stain. Ya got some neat wood.
Tip; Instead of screws for the frame,, use wood pegs.
Tip 2: Screw it all together like you did,, Then pull one screw,(with a clamp in place), drill that one screw hole for a wood dowel,, add a little glue, and drive the peg,, repeat.

But Home Depot used to do a screwed together pine box kit in a wood skills seminar for 7 to 12yr olds Saturday mornings.
(they were pre-drilled)
Honest,

"All the wood I used, my buddy cut on his saw mill from dead ponderosa pine. I havent added a closure strap yet, not 100% sure i want to."

Not sure a closure strap is needed, unless you tip it over or drop it. Once you put stuff in it, it's going to be hard to tip over.

No strap gives a cleaner look.

Nice box.

T
Nice stain. Ya got some neat wood.
Tip; Instead of screws for the frame,, use wood pegs.
Tip 2: Screw it all together like you did,, Then pull one screw,(with a clamp in place), drill that one screw hole for a wood dowel,, add a little glue, and drive the peg,, repeat.

But Home Depot used to do a screwed together pine box kit in a wood skills seminar for 7 to 12yr olds Saturday mornings.
(they were pre-drilled)
Honest,
This one I used antique square nails. Anytime I use screws, I fill in the holes with stained beeswax.

Some place, who knows where, I have a bunch of the old square nails. Wish I had used them on the box I built.

That's a neat box. It's so much more useful and HC than a plastic tub. It doesn't have to be hidden with a blanket, and can be used as a seat, or to keep good stuff off of the ground. Personally, I would add an old metal hasp to make it lockable. Get an old padlock, and things are secure while you are away from your tent.

Home Depot used to do a screwed together pine box kit in a wood skills seminar for 7 to 12yr olds Saturday mornings.
My wife took our 2 younger kids to Home Depot for the Saturday Morning Kid's project.
They each built a Space Shuttle.
It was Feb 1, 2003. 😢

Sorry for the ramblings.
I remember things, and blurt them out. Gets me into trouble all the time.

If it needs to be lockable, I need to find better friends or a better place to shoot.

As a Colonel in the Texas Army, we participate in living history events that invite the public into our camps. Almost everybody is very respectful and interested in the history that we share. If there's a battle reenactment, we leave our camp to fight the bad guys. As much as I like interacting with the public, you have to guard against the one person that might like something of yours too much, and decide to take it with them. If you have pistols, powder, or other valuable items that would be easy to conceal, a lockable box would help keep them safe when you're not using them.
I trust my friends. All others, maybe not so much.
YMMV

A box this small could easily be picked up and walked out with. A lock really wouldn't help solve theft.
My thought exactly. I made a box very similar to yours a while back and put a latch on it. Didn’t take long to wish I hadn’t. It seems to always be in the way. Next box I make won’t have one.

A lock would probably make things worse. If someone opened it and saw that it was nothing of value to them, likely would leave it behind. People buy those small safes to keep important papers in. They often get thieved and containing nothing of value to the thief but is valuable to the owner.

Gosh - I know some people are not trustworthy but all I hear here is negative input about people wanting to steal your stuff. I get it but you must have a little bit of faith in people. I think if you put stuff inside your tent and secured the flap then that is the best you can do at these gatherings or don't go to those events:dunno:. I know I will get flack on this comment but that's the way I feel:ThankYou:.

Rondyvous are different from public events. It always pays to use a bit more care with your nice stuff when the general public is in camp. I’ve never had any thing disappear at a Rondyvous. I have had stuff disappear at public events. People in this hobby that I’ve known are honest as can be. The general public less so. BJH

I am a bit disturbed by this thread. I have been privileged to travel in many parts of the world and all of the states. I have never worried about my belongings nor ever had any go missing. As of now, I seldom lock my doors when we go away, I do lock at night. In all of my 89 years I have lost one weed eater [cheapie], That was about three years ago. My garage with two cars and some tools is never locked, day or night. The only exception is when we go on an extended vacation [4 months or more]. I've lived in Mexico and Germany in addition to the US. I still leave garden tools and stuff for my sailboat lying in plain sight on my lawn. I just have a hard time relating to the idea of having things stolen. Either I have been very fortunate or I am just too dumb to get it

Either I have been very fortunate...
Well, bless your heart. You HAVE been fortunate.
Locale matters a lot - the more densely the people are packed, the bigger the chance of an issue. I watch tv channels from Houston, and a lot of those folks are not so fortunate. Sometimes, grey beards are targeted because they think we are an easy mark.
On the other hand, at my first Trailhead in Columbus, I accidently left my car door standing open and unattended for 5 hours, and nothing was touched. The right people can be trusted. We have to guard against the others.
I wish you good fortune for the holidays, and next year, too.

Latest posts

Back