• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old eyes, new rear sight Hawken M. River .45cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irishflintlock

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I have a Pedersoli Missouri River Hawken Percussion Muzzle Loading Rifle 45cal. I have never liked the long buckhorn rear sight and how close it is to the rear of the rifle. With aging eye sight, not a good mix. Today I changed the sight to a peep hole style (see photo). I also put a shrouded post on the front a few weeks ago. I used a home made temporary rear sight similar to one I seen on the Muzzleloader magazine. I made it the shape to my hex barrel. Lined this inside with tape so not to mark my barrel. I put a magnet on top to attach to the barrel for test shooting. The sighting post was about 25mm (1") long to start with. I cut it and put a new "V" in it each time I shot, until I got it marking targets where I wanted at 50 meters, (54.6 yrds). (I live in N. Ireland, part of the UK). I have to say, the first 6 rounds were more, "mortar launcher" than rifle. However, finally I got in control.
I like this new sight much better than the long buckhorn. I think it looks better on the gun. However, I'm not convinced that the sight picture will be a fine tuned as I will want. I'm to tired today to test it. Now when I was using the test removable sight I did like how it looked and sighted in. A simple flat top with a small "V" in the middle. I got some nicely placed shots with that. So If I'm not happy with this new sight, I will make a new one with a flat top and V. Anyway, I just thought I would share my day with you. Any good ideas, or if you have change a sight on your rifle let me know what you did and why.
Kind regards to you all from N. Ireland
Ps. apologies for some of the photos not being to sharp. My phone just wouldn't work for me.

Attachments

• Hawken rear sight (1).jpeg
    Hawken rear sight (1).jpeg
    91.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Hawken rear sight (2).jpeg
    Hawken rear sight (2).jpeg
    41.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Hawken rear sight (3).jpeg
    Hawken rear sight (3).jpeg
    61.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Hawken rear sight (4).jpeg
    Hawken rear sight (4).jpeg
    64.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Hawken rear sight (5).jpeg
    Hawken rear sight (5).jpeg
    25.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Hawken rear sight (6).jpeg
    Hawken rear sight (6).jpeg
    42.8 KB · Views: 0
I have a Pedersoli Missouri River Hawken Percussion Muzzle Loading Rifle 45cal. I have never liked the long buckhorn rear sight and how close it is to the rear of the rifle. With aging eye sight, not a good mix. Today I changed the sight to a peep hole style (see photo). I also put a shrouded post on the front a few weeks ago. I used a home made temporary rear sight similar to one I seen on the Muzzleloader magazine. I made it the shape to my hex barrel. Lined this inside with tape so not to mark my barrel. I put a magnet on top to attach to the barrel for test shooting. The sighting post was about 25mm (1") long to start with. I cut it and put a new "V" in it each time I shot, until I got it marking targets where I wanted at 50 meters, (54.6 yrds). (I live in N. Ireland, part of the UK). I have to say, the first 6 rounds were more, "mortar launcher" than rifle. However, finally I got in control.
I like this new sight much better than the long buckhorn. I think it looks better on the gun. However, I'm not convinced that the sight picture will be a fine tuned as I will want. I'm to tired today to test it. Now when I was using the test removable sight I did like how it looked and sighted in. A simple flat top with a small "V" in the middle. I got some nicely placed shots with that. So If I'm not happy with this new sight, I will make a new one with a flat top and V. Anyway, I just thought I would share my day with you. Any good ideas, or if you have change a sight on your rifle let me know what you did and why.
Kind regards to you all from N. Ireland
Ps. apologies for some of the photos not being to sharp. My phone just wouldn't work for me.
i have the same rear sight on my tmr.45. and old eyes. one hundred and forty-three yards. blade front sight.

Attachments

• 20220624_180958.jpg
    20220624_180958.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 0
Had a similar problem with my T/C Hawken .45. With the factory rear sight, I had TWO front sights... probably a cataract, but as I have stage four cancer, I didn't think fixing my eyes would be a good investment. I did notice that if I viewed the sights through an aperture cut in paper my second ghost sight disappeared. That gave me a few ideas.

I looked for something I could install similar to the one you used, but short of heading out to the smithy, I had limited options. Went with the Williams FP-Hawken. It was an older gun, so T/C had already drilled and tapped the tang. Ended up having to modify a hardware store screw as the supplied mounting screw had the wrong thread. Once this was done, I only had to modify my load to hit fifty yard targets. Guess I could have gone with a higher front sight.

Still need to get over to the gun shop and grab a couple of 6-32 plug screws to fill the holes where the factory sight was mounted.

Ah well, in a few years I'll be able to walk over to Muzzleloader Street and find everything I couldn't find on Earth.... ;)

I put a Williams #44737 on a couple of my muzzle loaders due to aging eyes. I like the OP's idea better since it's home built but just got lazy. I glued it to the barrel with Permatex black gasket maker goo. A quick solution and works great.

Had a similar problem with my T/C Hawken .45. With the factory rear sight, I had TWO front sights... probably a cataract, but as I have stage four cancer, I didn't think fixing my eyes would be a good investment. I did notice that if I viewed the sights through an aperture cut in paper my second ghost sight disappeared. That gave me a few ideas.

I looked for something I could install similar to the one you used, but short of heading out to the smithy, I had limited options. Went with the Williams FP-Hawken. It was an older gun, so T/C had already drilled and tapped the tang. Ended up having to modify a hardware store screw as the supplied mounting screw had the wrong thread. Once this was done, I only had to modify my load to hit fifty yard targets. Guess I could have gone with a higher front sight.

Still need to get over to the gun shop and grab a couple of 6-32 plug screws to fill the holes where the factory sight was mounted.

Ah well, in a few years I'll be able to walk over to Muzzleloader Street and find everything I couldn't find on Earth.... ;)
in my prayers Dale. Oh how i hate that disease. seems to target the good guy's and gals.

in my prayers Dale. Oh how i hate that disease. seems to target the good guy's and gals.
Well, nobody likes cancer, but on the bright side, I might have a few years to get my affairs in order. An Army buddy of mine was killed in a crash on the German Autobahn. He didn't even have time to say "Oh S***!", much less set up trust funds for anyone. I know that I am dying, beyond any reasonable doubt. But I have time to look for a suitable abode for the female half of the household with two cats in tow, time to sell all of my guns for what they are worth, time to catalogue my gold/silver stacks in the safe deposit box, time to find a suitable home for my blacksmith shop.... well, you get the picture.

Also, while it is still a death sentence, I still don't know when. I might last another five years and then go into coma and die, or I might get killed on the way to church tomorrow.

In the end, I can visit people I haven't seen in decades, go to muzzle-loader street and buy whatever I want, and I bet they never have black powder, cap or flint shortages.

Latest posts

Back