• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

lyman

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe Green Mountain makes a drop in barrel for it. Pretty much any barrel that fits the T/C or Investarms Hawken will fit the Lyman. If it fits, they make it in .58.

T/C and Investarms Hawkens have only one key. TheLyman GPR has two. You may get a barrel blank in .58 cal. and have it fitted. The cost would be more than it's worth. I would just stay with the .54. A .54 will take any game in this country.

I agree that the .54 will do the job. - But if you NEED the .58, adding 2 new wedge tennons only takes filing dovetails or soldering. See TOW for the types they have. Should be $10-20 for what you need. Bill

OR562 said:
I agree that the .54 will do the job. - But if you NEED the .58, adding 2 new wedge tennons only takes filing dovetails or soldering. See TOW for the types they have. Should be $10-20 for what you need. Bill
True enough but how do you propose to deal with the fact that Lyman barrels are 15/16" across the flats and no U.S. maker will produce a .58 smaller than one inch. :grin:

cowpoke1955 said:
T/C and Investarms Hawkens have only one key. TheLyman GPR has two. You may get a barrel blank in .58 cal. and have it fitted. The cost would be more than it's worth. I would just stay with the .54. A .54 will take any game in this country.
Although you can't get a 15/16" barrel in .58 caliber, I disagree with the notion that starting with a barrel blank is not worth the cost. I've rebarreled several Lyman rifles with Greenmountain 36" blanks, and have always come out well under the cost of their "drop-ins". Fitting a TOW breechplug is the most difficult part and not all that tough, dovetailing sights and soldering the underrib is next. I silver solder the underlugs as I don't like cutting an enormous dovetail like T/C uses, Lyman lugs are welded to the bottom flat.
I've never bought a "drop-in" as I can't see paying for sights I'll throw away, bluing I'll strip off, a ramrod I won't use, rod thimbles set on the surface of the rib rather than inletted into it, etc. :shake:

Appreciate your insight. Learn something new every day. I may try that some day. Get yourself a real custom rifle :bow: .

Careful now. Bigger can turn into a disease.

I've shot 54's for quite a while now and always kinda yearned for a 58. Then I shot a friend's 62, and upped my ambition a notch. Last week I shot a 72 cal Kodiak double, and I gotta say that was even better. That big ol 12 gauge RB made a heck of a whack when it landed, and the ball kinda shrinks a 58 laying in your hand, much less a 54. I don't even want to see the 8 gauges and 4 gauges!

Just slam your hand in the car door a couple of times, that should ease your craving for pain! :grin:

rubincam said:
does lyman plains come in 58 cal. ????

You mean GREAT plains rifle, with the two barrel keys, correct?

Lyman used to make a PLAINS rifle that was very similar to a Cabela's hawken. Both were made with investarms parts and were available with a 15/16 1-48 58 cal barrel. You can probably modify one of those to fit.

I have a Lyman and my friend has a Cabela's. We can get both to shoot a PRB decently and mine does O.K. with Hornaday conicals too.

Latest posts

Back