• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman Great Plains rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love my GPR, I’m new to muzzleloading but I can get 1.5-2in groups at 100yds consistently

Attachments

• 7D9D2E06-3396-4B28-BED2-C56083A37D29.jpeg
    7D9D2E06-3396-4B28-BED2-C56083A37D29.jpeg
    125.8 KB · Views: 0
Mine is a flintlock, very accurate, and very reliable. Is it as nice to look at and carry as some others? No, it's pretty heavy for what it is, and though overall nicely enough fitted and finished it's not a custom rifle by any stretch. It is what I carried into the field hunting last year though, that says plenty I think.

I had issues with my Lyman/Investarms flint .50 Great Plains rifle, mostly eating flints and shredding patches. After some shooting, the bore smoothed out and the patch issue went away. It was reasonable accurate. However, it ate flints too frequently and I ordered my first custom flintlock to replace it.

ADK Bigfoot

Don`t know what happened with above post, computer froze then posted.

Have a GPR and love it. Couldn`t get it to group first off till I began laying a patch of worn bed sheet on top of my Ticking patch for a tight fit. Now hole in hole type stuff.

My 54 flinter shoots really good from 65-90 grains 2F (65-90 based on my measure, never verified weight), .530 swaged balls and .018" ticking patch and mink oil lube as heavy as the patch will take. 90 grains raised the POI to match POA when I was getting a zero for hunting, dead on at 85 yards. 65 was a few inches low and the rear sight was already above the midpoint for elevation adjustment so I added powder to raise impact and see if the group stayed, it worked perfectly and shot so well I never ventured over 90. I'd be happy with the groups it shoots using a centerfire rifle with the same sights.

How good is a Lyman Great Plains rifle made by Dixie gun works.
Yeah, Investarms isn't making them anymore. See if you can fine a nice one on line or at a show or auction, but they seem to be hard to find as guys want them. You'll see on here that Pedersoli was making them for a time but I don't know the specifics just now. There's been much discussion on this great site about them. Good luck!

Right before the stupid covid shut-own, I saw at a tiny semi-rural show, a NIB Lyman Investarms flint GPR. It was $400, but I simply was not in the market for one at the time. What an investment it could have been; it had an exceptional, nicely figured stock. Believe it was .50 cal. I could probably get 600 for it now!

Right before the stupid covid shut-own, I saw at a tiny semi-rural show, a NIB Lyman Investarms flint GPR. It was $400, but I simply was not in the market for one at the time. What an investment it could have been; it had an exceptional, nicely figured stock. Believe it was .50 cal. I could probably get 600 for it now!
Yes you could I believe. I think they are awesome. If you find another one like that let me know I will buy it and give you a $50 finders fee. lol

I have two GPR cap guns in .54. One is date for 91, the other is an investarms but not dated that I can fine. When did Investarms make them?

Back