• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman Great Plains

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rather than taking the wood down, I'm thinking of filling in behind the metal to raise it to flush with the wood.
That and getting rid of the perch belly on the bottom of the butt stock.
I would definitely take the wood down instead of trying to raise the metal parts. Trying to raise the metal to the wood level is, in my humble opinion, just asking for trouble!

I’d disagree, as my gpr has a date code of 1979
Proof code date is the date in Italy when the barrel was proofed. It doesn't mean the date the Lyman imported and began selling them. I suspect the first batch was made, exportation permits requested and received, importation permits then requested and received, firearms exported/imported, then distribution to retail outlets came next. Easily a year or more process.

I’d disagree, as my gpr has a date code of 1979
My apologies, then. Mine is from 1987, but I was quoting info from their (relatively) current advertising for the new Pedersoli versions.

Attachments

• A6709F22-389C-4188-891B-5B3839CE1F7D.jpeg
    A6709F22-389C-4188-891B-5B3839CE1F7D.jpeg
    492.8 KB · Views: 0
Proof code date is the date in Italy when the barrel was proofed. It doesn't mean the date the Lyman imported and began selling them. I suspect the first batch was made, exportation permits requested and received, importation permits then requested and received, firearms exported/imported, then distribution to retail outlets came next. Easily a year or more process.
Thanks, for the clarification. I think you are probably right. My info was from Lyman’s ad for the new Pedersoli versions.

Attachments

• AD57A336-6BCB-40E7-8F63-33517E9AFDBD.jpeg
    AD57A336-6BCB-40E7-8F63-33517E9AFDBD.jpeg
    492.8 KB · Views: 0
Was on a forum this morning with numerous people trying to figure out the twist of a Lyman Plains rifle. Someone posted the Lyman site. I email them to find out what my Lyman from the early 70s was. According to Lyman the 50 cal plains rifle has a 1:60 twist.
If anyone has seen that forum please let me know.
They've always been 1:60.

Walt

From what I was told, most of them had either a 1:60 or 1:66 twist. To my surprise, one member on here a few days ago stated that Lyman built a few with 1:48 twist. That got my interest up so I tried to measure mine a few days ago with a scatter gun cleaning brush. I couldn't get an accurate measurement but I do know the cleaning rod didn't rotate much from breech to muzzle. So, I'm hoping mine is at a minimum a 1:60 twist. Checked the date on mine and it is a 1990 model as indicated by an [AZ]. Most likely a kit rifle.
GPRs were 1:60. Others like the Trade Rifle and Deer Stalker were 1:48.

Walt

They were the closest thing you could get to a "Hawken" rifle from a factory. CVA, Thompson Center, and others fell short. Designed for Patched Round Ball, they are very accurate. If I had it to do all over again, I'd have bought one with a matching pistol in the 80s, before all the legal verbiage was added.

I've owned a few. They always seem a little heavy. The 54 is lighter but am not much into tolerating recoil anymore. I'm glad Investarm is still making them as the Gemmer Hawken.

Walt

Found CP (2016) stamped on underside of barrel on my .50 GPR. I love mine, very nice looking, well made and is extremely accurate with patched round balls. I have zero complaints and will be back at the range in a few weeks after my range re-opened after a year’s hiatus. Really missed shooting and making BP smoke😊.

Left handers, .54 flint and .40 percussion.
Hard to beat but the deep crescent butt plates aren't always the best thing.

Most manufacturers have used the two-letter code (year of manufacture) within a square and have for years. It's usually on the side of the barrel just above or below the stock on the right-hand side.

Some in the last few decades like CVA and Traditions actually put it on the barrel as you've described. It may actually be part of the serial number (last two digits).

I never knew that Lyman did until reading this thread.

Walt
I have a Pedersoli Blue Ridge that I bought new, and it has both the date code CU, and the year 2019 on the barrel. I think it may just have 19 on there, but it does include the date code. My older Italians do not have a number date on them. Just the code.

They were the closest thing you could get to a "Hawken" rifle from a factory. CVA, Thompson Center, and others fell short. Designed for Patched Round Ball, they are very accurate. If I had it to do all over again, I'd have bought one with a matching pistol in the 80s, before all the legal verbiage was added.

I've owned a few. They always seem a little heavy. The 54 is lighter but am not much into tolerating recoil anymore. I'm glad Investarm is still making them as the Gemmer Hawken.

Walt
I had my barrel shortened when re-finishing my LH .54 GPR. They are indeed a bit heavy! The "lawyer barrel" is thick!
!

Back