• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are a good muzzy rifle xcept the sights.I have the 54 cal GPR and again tday out hunting the rear sight fell out of the dovetail. I will contact them on Monday and see what they say.

^^^ Take your sight, flip it over and with a prick punch dimple the bottom flat of the sight a few times. It will displace enough metal to tighten up the sight in the dovetail.

Did that and still wont go in Im not a gunsmith but I don't think they made dovetails deep enough. This problem with the GPRis on other sites also. I have my barrel in a sight vise on the kitchen table trying to get sight in. Ill contact Lyman tomorrow and see what they say if it cant be fixed right to the junkyard she goes.

I've got a cap GPR that is great. I got it back in 1995 from Cabela's. The fit and finish are excellent, but I've heard the later ones aren't up to that standard. I stripped the blue off my iron parts and browned them, but hey, that was a long time ago and the finish isn't up to anything like a semi-custom finish. But it pleases me.

I don't know about the flints, but the caps are excellent performers. The bottom of the stock does have a "perch belly" slightly, but they look a lot like the originals. Mine is accurate. I replaced the adjustable sight with a proper one, but haven't shot it since.

I’ve got one in .54 cal flint, it’s a great gun.

The only issues I had with it were, edges of the grooves were sharp until it got shot a few rounds.

It shot 8” low at 25 yards right out of the box.

It likes 100 ffg & a .530 ball.

They are a good muzzy rifle xcept the sights.I have the 54 cal GPR and again tday out hunting the rear sight fell out of the dovetail. I will contact them on Monday and see what they say.

If you are saying the female portion of the dovetail will not hold the sight. Take a 1/2 or 3/4 inch socket extension and lay it perpendicular to the barrel in the space between the lips of the sight groove. "LIGHTLY" tap the socket extension with a hammer, that is over the open space of the sight groove, put your sight in, if it is still loose do it again and try the sight again. Keep doing this until you have to lightly tap the sight in the groove. Once you get it postioned, take a punch and place it over the thinner portion of the lips of the groove that come up over the male portion of the sights dovetail and give it a solid rap to peen it, do it to the lips on both sides of the sight. That should take care of your problem.

Danny Ross is right on target with his fix. That is not an uncommon problem and one that can basically be done by anyone in a matter of a few minutes.

Thx but cant get sight even started that is why I said dovetail seems not deep enough. Emailed Lyman tday about this problem and waiting a response from them it seems like front part of dovetail needs lifted up to allow sight to go in. Ive filed sight very carefully and not much but sight still wont go into dovetail groove.

Is it the original sight?

If so have you tried it from the other side?
It shouldn't matter, but worth a try...

I have a white bead front sight that the base rides a little high on , but once installed it didn't matter . The white dot was still always in the same place.

Thx but cant get sight even started that is why I said dovetail seems not deep enough. Emailed Lyman tday about this problem and waiting a response from them it seems like front part of dovetail needs lifted up to allow sight to go in. Ive filed sight very carefully and not much but sight still wont go into dovetail groove.

Okay let me get this right. It "fell out" but you can't get it back in? That seems a bit odd, that it was/is that loose but won't slide back in. Did you try and start it in from both sides of the barrel? The female portion of the dovetail maybe more open on one side of the barrel than the other. Okay here are a couple of questions: 1) Which sight are you using, the fixed or the adjustable? 2) If it is the fixed sight are you trying to put it in with the slant of the fixed sight going forward or rearward? Because it should be going in with the slant going rearward, toward your eye. Also look and see if there are any burrs on the male sight wedge that maybe not be allowing it to to slide in smoothly, also look and see if one of the thin corners of the female slot on the barrel (where it fades thin to meet the sight) is bent down stopping it. Just trying help you figure out how to get it back in without sending it back to the company. DANNY

Tried that also both sides of barrel no go.It came with the adjustable sight. I went on a couple suppliers sights and their saying the depth of the dovetail think like .066 well mine isn't. Cant even feel the slant on the forward dovetail if that makes sense to you I can feel the back dovetail. I just touched the sight with the 3 sided file lightly and no good.Lyman never returned my email response they might have been off work tday with the holiday also.

So it’s a replacement sight, it sounds like the best , and quickest fix would be too Order another sight wiith the proper base, or file the base of the one you got down a little until it goes in.

It may be easier too open up the dovetail on the barrel than removing metal from the base of the sight.

It shouldn’t take much filing too get it too work , if it’s close too start with..Good Luck

While it might be easier to open the dovetail on the barrel, it is best to remove metal from the cheapest and easiest to replace part. If you really need to open the dovetail on the barrel, then a dovetail chisel can do the job.

Track offers the dovetail chisel to slightly open the dovetail on the barrel so the sight can be inserted and the barrel lightly staked to hold the sight in place.
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/876/1/TOOL-DOVETAIL

It sounds like your rear sight has a 3/8" or .375 dovetail and the Lyman BPR has a rear sight dovetail that is .360". The Lyman catalog list the correct sight.

Original sight this is a used Lyman. Took it to the range today 2 other people were there. Asked the 1 guy to look at the dovetail and he felt the back edge of dovetail but couldn't feel the front edge at all. Was told dovetails are tapered don't know whats been holding this sight in. Have a new sight from Track wolf coming in and talked to gunsmith hes on board.To the shop when the sight comes in. I don't think the dovetail on the rifle is deep enough well see.

As you’re looking down the barrel from the breech end toward the front sight, the rear sight should be installed from right to left and removed from left to right. The dove tail is just a hair narrower on the left side of the barrel.

If that isn’t the problem then I’d place the sight upside down in a vice and ping the front and rear edges of the sight with a punch and hammer to stretch out the base a little. I only say this because if you ever want to change over different sights in the future you haven’t modified your dove tail to only one specific sight. Rear sights are cheap to replace if need be. Also I’d look at the base of the sight to see if there’s any day light between the bottom of the base and the flat portion of the dove tail once it’s installed. I just hold the barrel up to a light to see if you have total contact with both surfaces.

Anyway, just food for thought and my two cents my friend.

Respectfully, Cowboy

Last edited:
So you are saying the front of the dovetail on the side towards the muzzle is basically non-existent or is pretty much a straight wall with no 45 degree undercut? If that is the case, then I would peen that down a little and have it re-cut for a 3/8" dovetail which would be .015" longer than the original metric one that it came with and then pick up a 3/8" rear dovetail sight for it.

That's it Boomerang. Tapped front sight out and you can see the 45 degree angles this is not the same on rear sight.

Is the leading edge of bottom portion of the of the sight tapered ?
Or straight...
L> or <>?

I’ve never seen a dove tail on a sight that’s only tapered on one side, maybe something new ? Another short cut on Quality?

I guess it would work (L>) , it would only be wedged on the one side but if inlet deep enough.... it could work , for awhile.. lol

Got pics?

Back