• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman Trade Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had one from 2001 and I like the looks and the fit. It was a 50 when I bought it and it is flint. Make sure you run a patch down the barrel before you buy it though. I had to get mine rebored by Bobby Hoyt to 54 cal. because my barrel had loose spots in it when I ran a tight patch through it and couldn't get any accuracy for 10 years. After the Hoyt rebore it shoots great!

I have had one from 2001 and I like the looks and the fit. It was a 50 when I bought it and it is flint. Make sure you run a patch down the barrel before you buy it though. I had to get mine rebored by Bobby Hoyt to 54 cal. because my barrel had loose spots in it when I ran a tight patch through it and couldn't get any accuracy for 10 years. After the Hoyt rebore it shoots great!
Thanks. I see that Dixie Gun Works shows in stock. I'd probably buy new unless I could find a used in good shape.

I've been thinking about buying one of these flinters. Wondering if any members has one ?
A custom gun like a Kibler just isn't in my budget but this Lyman is probably affordable.
What kind of gun do you want? Do you want a half stock or a full stock flintlock? Pedersoli makes the Kentucky and Pennsylvania flint locks as 90% finished kits for $700 to $800 range about. It takes only a few hours of work to finish. Dixie has them, I bought my Pedersoli Scout rifle from them as 90% kit. It's basically a short Pennsylvania rifle. It's still a 28inch barrel though. The Pedersoli Kentucky flintlock action is very good. It is not as good as L&R or the custom expensive locks but, not far off.

What kind of gun do you want? Do you want a half stock or a full stock flintlock? Pedersoli makes the Kentucky and Pennsylvania flint locks as 90% finished kits for $700 to $800 range about. It takes only a few hours of work to finish. Dixie has them, I bought my Pedersoli Scout rifle from them as 90% kit. It's basically a short Pennsylvania rifle. It's still a 28inch barrel though. The Pedersoli Kentucky flintlock action is very good. It is not as good as L&R or the custom expensive locks but, not far off.
I would want a half stock. Something like that trade rifle would work for me.

I would want a half stock. Something like that trade rifle would work for me.
Oh okay in that case yeah. I don't even think Kibler offers a half stock. I would check out the Investarms Gremmer and Bridger Hawken kits also. They are cheaper than the now Pedersoli made Lyman trade rifle. I do note that the Investarm flintlock action is not as good as the Pedersoli one however L&R does make a replacement lock that only requires an hour or two of careful fitting to drop in. I did it on my Bridger Hawken rifle I own from them. The Gremmer kit from Investarms is very close in looks to the Lyman Trade Rifle.

https://muzzle-loaders.com/collecti...arm-gemmer-rifle-kit-50-cal-flintlock-ia3410k

Last edited:
Oh okay in that case yeah. I don't even think Kibler offers a half stock. I would check out the Investarms Gremmer and Bridger Hawken kits also. They are cheaper than the now Pedersoli made Lyman trade rifle. I do note that the Investarm flintlock action is not as good as the Pedersoli one however L&R does make a replacement lock that only requires an hour or two of careful fitting to drop in. I did it on my Bridger Hawkien rifle I own from them. The Gremmer kit from Investarms is very close in looks to the Lyman Trade Rifle.

https://muzzle-loaders.com/collecti...arm-gemmer-rifle-kit-50-cal-flintlock-ia3410k
Thanks for the reply. I'll be looking into those a bit more.
The flintlock rifle I have now is a bit of a conglomeration of old CVA parts that I put together earlier this year. I do have an L&R lock on it and it shoots pretty good with the round ball.
I would at some point want to get something nicer.

Thanks for the reply. I'll be looking into those a bit more.
The flintlock rifle I have now is a bit of a conglomeration of old CVA parts that I put together earlier this year. I do have an L&R lock on it and it shoots pretty good with the round ball.
I would at some point want to get something nicer.
I've done that too. I had a half stock CVA flintlock I put an L&R lock in. Tried making it into a two piece full stock rifle but couldn't get it to work. Ended up selling it. The Traditions Mountain Rifle with an L&R lock would be a decent choice to but, the stock and fittings on Investarm and Pedersoli (Makes the Lyman great plains rifle now) are much nicer. I just just crazy about the coil spring lock on the Investarm flintlock action. It works but I prefer leaf springs.

I've done that too. I had a half stock CVA flintlock I put an L&R lock in. Tried making it into a two piece full stock rifle but couldn't get it to work. Ended up selling it. The Traditions Mountain Rifle with an L&R lock would be a decent choice to but, the stock and fittings on Investarm and Pedersoli (Makes the Lyman great plains rifle now) are much nicer. I just just crazy about the coil spring lock on the Investarm flintlock action. It works but I prefer leaf springs.
Same here, I guess they're ok but I can't seem to wrap my head around a coil spring.

I have a Lyman Trade rifle and it is a great little gun. I started way back with a couple CVA flintlocks and wish I hadn't waited so long to try Investarm guns!

I own a .54 flint, and a .50 perc Lyman trade rifle. Also a .54 perc Lyman plains pistol. I will NEVER sell any of the three. They were the best of the production guns save maybe T/C.

I've been thinking about buying one of these flinters. Wondering if any members has one ?
A custom gun like a Kibler just isn't in my budget but this Lyman is probably affordable.
If you look around you can find a decent used one. I found a nice one on GB for a decent price. But you just have to watch the auction sites constantly until a deal pops up.

I have a 54 cal Lyman trade rifle I bought used at a muzzleloader store last year. About a month later I took it out to shoot it. I liked the way it shot. But I noticed a couple of things wrong with it. I should’ve checked it out closer at the store, but was excited about buying a 54 cal Hawkins/plains style rifle. Who ever built it drilled the touchhole off center. And is pitted around the touchhole. Inside of barrel looks good. Muzzle has some dings/nicks. I do like the brass not being shiny. With the imperfections, I’m glad I got it.

Attachments

• 4DA397A8-D6DD-4EEC-8C54-D0CDD6A4412E.jpeg
    4DA397A8-D6DD-4EEC-8C54-D0CDD6A4412E.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • A4860778-37A0-478B-8358-DA1C5899EA13.jpeg
    A4860778-37A0-478B-8358-DA1C5899EA13.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 764C7DBA-1F0E-4E8D-B305-65C6898F446A.jpeg
    764C7DBA-1F0E-4E8D-B305-65C6898F446A.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • AF13473C-ECCB-4664-8335-601D8282F82B.jpeg
    AF13473C-ECCB-4664-8335-601D8282F82B.jpeg
    6.7 MB · Views: 0
I have a 54 cal Lyman trade rifle I bought used at a muzzleloader store last year. About a month later I took it out to shoot it. I liked the way it shot. But I noticed a couple of things wrong with it. I should’ve checked it out closer at the store, but was excited about buying a 54 cal Hawkins/plains style rifle. Who ever built it drilled the touchhole off center. And is pitted around the touchhole. Inside of barrel looks good. Muzzle has some dings/nicks. I do like the brass not being shiny. With the imperfections, I’m glad I got it.
That looks like an Investarms lock. If it has coil main spring then it definitely is Investarms. I think mine was a hair off center. As long as the touch hole is within a clear path of the pan and fairly close to the center it should work okay. The barrel can be taken out and cleaned.

I’m not sure what a coil main spring is on the lock. Are you talking about on the inside or outside of the lock? I think you may be talking about the inside. Are the older locks better or the newer ones? That may be something to consider when buying a used on.
That looks like an Investarms lock. If it has coil main spring then it definitely is Investarms. I think mine was a hair off center. As long as the touch hole is within a clear path of the pan and fairly close to the center it should work okay. The barrel can be taken out and cleaned.

Attachments

• E26CA7F8-7B08-448B-BD18-401A09603699.jpeg
    E26CA7F8-7B08-448B-BD18-401A09603699.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • ABB37032-8F15-4144-8CD4-2F82D3C7C7EB.jpeg
    ABB37032-8F15-4144-8CD4-2F82D3C7C7EB.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 9B34B629-EEF9-44DC-8E9E-99725EA09906.jpeg
    9B34B629-EEF9-44DC-8E9E-99725EA09906.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 69B4406C-5551-41EE-8AC7-183C8493C996.jpeg
    69B4406C-5551-41EE-8AC7-183C8493C996.jpeg