• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

$1,000 budget (set on stone): What should I recommend?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
one thing that makes Jims guns so popular is it is a custom quality gun that the average person has a chance finishing himself without the expense of a custom-built gun that comes with a custom price after you wait what could be years to get! i am in the middle of my 3rd Kibler SMR now, i got it Wednesday and should be done with it Tuesday or Wednesday, so a week taking my time i will have another nice gun, what's not to like?

Have your friend send ME the $1000 . Seriously, buy the best quality you can afford. It you want to become proficient in shooting a flintlock, you need to shoot often. A generic production rifle probably will not handle that much use without something breaking or wearing out. Case in point- years ago, two friends were wanting 22 pistols to plink with . One guy went cheap as possible, an old h and r revolver, the other guy bought a smith and Wesson for $800. Guess who is still shooting their revolver today?

Two years ago I bought one of the Lyman Great Plains Rifles in flinter made by Pedersoli. It has a great double set trigger and leaf spring lock on it. I have a Kibler Colonial, and I or my shooting buddies cant tell the difference in lock speed. The Lyman can be found for well under a grand, leaving plenty of room to get flints, accessories, bullets...all the rest of the goodies.

I get it when someone says..."My budget is..."....It isnt about just saving for a while more, or whatever. In their life that is what they can allocate. Kids, cars, school, healthcare, etc. or whatever get the likely and reasonable priorities. No one has to justify for someone else what they can afford. My in law drops big money on his hunting rifles....and they sit in the case. My fathers sporterized model 98 gets carried every year...and has taken scores of deer, moose and other critters. It is the craftsman, not the tools.

Last edited:
Two years ago I bought one of the Lyman Great Plains Rifles in flinter made by Pedersoli. It has a great double set trigger and leaf spring lock on it. I have a Kibler Colonial, and I or my shooting buddies cant tell the difference in lock speed. The Lyman can be found for well under a grand, leaving plenty of room to get flints, accessories, bullets...all the rest of the goodies.

I get it when someone says..."My budget is..."....It isnt about just saving for a while more, or whatever. In their life that is what they can allocate. Kids, cars, school, healthcare, etc. or whatever get the likely and reasonable priorities. No one has to justify for someone else what they can afford. My in law drops big money on his hunting rifles....and they sit in the case. My fathers sporterized model 98 gets carried every year...and has taken scores of deer, moose and other critters. It is the craftsman, not the tools.
I have one of those Pedersoli built GPR rifles in flintlock. My experience with it has been different from the one you have and is what led me to look to see what else was out there. Even after some time, other flintlocks, and more experience that has allowed to improve on the experience with it. It is still the most meh flintlock I own to date.

For sure.

I’m in no hurry. I will keep an eye on the classifieds but am leaning towards a Kibler kit. It’s going to be a big bore though. .54/.56 probably.

Thanks to alll the members thst have posted and shared their knowledge and experienc.

Bob
Just try your hardest to be patient, the right rifle will show itself and be a perfect fit!

Talk to Jackie Brown. I have no idea how he can build a rifle or fowler so inexpensively . Keep checking used guns for sale on here too. Ive seen some real deals on here ! A friend just bought a nice fowler off here for the price I'd have in the parts alone !!
Nope!!!!!
I have been there, done that and I have the T shirt.
What’s left of that gun is in the junk /parts pile in the corner of my garage where it belongs.
Don’t do it!!!!!!
You”lll be Sorrrrrrreeeeeeyyy!!!

T
A range acquaintance wants to transition from percussion sidelocks to flintlocks, and is looking to me to recommend what he should buy because he sees me shooting my Kibler with few, and usually no, misfires. He has a hard budget of a grand, so that pretty much rules out any custom rifles. So far, I've only been able to tell him to stay away from the cheaper mass produced imports, as their locks will end up driving him crazy when trying to get them to spark and fire reliably.

Any ideas on what's the most reliable non-custom flinter?
Tell him to save his money.

Nope!!!!!
I have been there, done that and I have the T shirt.
What’s left of that gun is in the junk /parts pile in the corner of my garage where it belongs.
Don’t do it!!!!!!
You”lll be Sorrrrrrreeeeeeyyy!!!
I was waiting for someone to say that. He can take $1000 worth of parts, and make you a fine $400 rifle.

I was waiting for someone to say that. He can take $1000 worth of parts, and make you a fine $400 rifle.
I hate to be this way but.....It’s the truth.
A good friend had one too. It was a fairly neat gun other than the required 1/8 bead of silicone to seal the gap between the lock and barrel. That was the only option unless you wanted to blow the lock off.
BTW
That was unrepairable. The round barrel was filed that bad.

A range acquaintance wants to transition from percussion sidelocks to flintlocks, and is looking to me to recommend what he should buy because he sees me shooting my Kibler with few, and usually no, misfires. He has a hard budget of a grand, so that pretty much rules out any custom rifles. So far, I've only been able to tell him to stay away from the cheaper mass produced imports, as their locks will end up driving him crazy when trying to get them to spark and fire reliably.

Any ideas on what's the most reliable non-custom flinter?
If it helps I tune those import locks depending on model tuning the lock and finish desired will typically run 100-300. As far as reliability my reliability test is 20 ignitions at 90% or better fire rate so the worst possible passing score is 20/22. If a reprime, cleaning, or knapping is required it's an automatic failure. I came up with this test as a standard so I could compare and rate lock performance.

So, I'm shocked at the prices of these kits, shocked I tell ya.

And today I find out they aren't even complete, and you still have to buy a lock.

Seems like there's way more value buying used.

Yes, quite. I do suspect that may be those who, for their own particular amusement, might not be motivated by pure thrift.

The Kibler kits come complete. With lock, stock an barrel. Plus all the other stuff. What your missing is the fact that they have to make a separate billing for the lock. To appease the rules of stupidity. (government ). But if you have never shot a Kibler. You are in for a surprise. They are super fast locks.

Back