• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

$1,000 budget (set on stone): What should I recommend?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GAHUNTER60

40 Cal
Reaction score
A range acquaintance wants to transition from percussion sidelocks to flintlocks, and is looking to me to recommend what he should buy because he sees me shooting my Kibler with few, and usually no, misfires. He has a hard budget of a grand, so that pretty much rules out any custom rifles. So far, I've only been able to tell him to stay away from the cheaper mass produced imports, as their locks will end up driving him crazy when trying to get them to spark and fire reliably.

Any ideas on what's the most reliable non-custom flinter?

There are a couple of flinters for sale in the "Guns for sale forum" on this site. Several calibers to choose from, and some are under your friends dollar limit.

If he has a thousand bucks, he can sell whatever he is shooting now to make up the difference, and get a Kibler.
This. Plus, if he's not super picky, he can get one of the discounted, ready-to-ship sticks with cosmetic defects in the stock. It'll be closer to $1200 shipped, but selling something he's gonna stop using anyway should cover it.

I’m in the same place. I have been thinking about making the jump from percussion to flintlock. I also want to avoid the cheap mass produced imports and want something with a decent lock, properly heat treated and tuned, to get started with. I want to enjoy the rifle and not be fighting with the lock to get it for fire.

Bob

I’m in the same place. I have been thinking about making the jump from percussion to flintlock. I also want to avoid the cheap mass produced imports and want something with a decent lock, properly heat treated and tuned, to get started with. I want to enjoy the rifle and not be fighting with the lock to get it for fire.

Bob
Talk to Jackie Brown too bud ....

Buy used. Dixie gun works made a real nice rifle years ago that routinely sell on here for 600.
IMG_0806.jpeg

Loyalist arms can get him in to a smoothbore that will have a well functioning lock for under that price
Used Great Plains rifles in flint are avalible
Traditions can be tack drivers but in flint they can be fustraiting. However six hundred plus twohundred for a replacement lock gets him in under the price

Bob
I started with a TC Hawken flintlock and constantly fought with it to be able to get more than 3-4 shots off in a row. Bought parts and made a rifle with a Siler lock and have been shooting it since 1980 and it still fires reliably for many shots before I need to knap the flint. Made shooting so much more enjoyable :thumb:

Back