• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman Trade rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one I bought new in the mid '80s. Love that gun! (Investarms...I think the new ones are Pedersoli) I used to shoot Lee REAL bullets with mediocre results (1:48 twist is supposed to be good for either bullet or ball) but found out that a tightly patched .495 RB (mine is a .50) turned it into a tack driver. Now I don't bother with the REALs. Your mileage may vary.

I just got a new Lyman Trade Rifle in 50 cal Flinter. Fit and finish are sub par. The barrel does not fit as it has a bold spot that is barely noticeable a few inches forward of the breech causing a rocking motion when mounted without the wedge. I put a steel straight edge against it to find the small hump. This also prevents the rod from fully entering its channel as there is a gap between the barrel and the stock at the nose cap. I have contacted Lyman about this but it was Friday night that it arrived and they are closed. The frizzen also ripped the stock at the front of the curl that is nearest the stock. This happened when the test cycling was done by "Joe A" at Lyman. Very disappointing and makes this now a "project " piece when it was supposed to be new and finished. I want to finish making this piece ready to use but I am waiting for Lyman to get back to me. Should I wait or is it a Forlorn Hope?

Attachments

• Trade Rifle (2).jpg
    Trade Rifle (2).jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Trade Rifle (3).jpg
    Trade Rifle (3).jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Trade Rifle (4).jpg
    Trade Rifle (4).jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 0
I just got a new Lyman Trade Rifle in 50 cal Flinter. Fit and finish are sub par. The barrel does not fit as it has a bold spot that is barely noticeable a few inches forward of the breech causing a rocking motion when mounted without the wedge. I put a steel straight edge against it to find the small hump. This also prevents the rod from fully entering its channel as there is a gap between the barrel and the stock at the nose cap. I have contacted Lyman about this but it was Friday night that it arrived and they are closed. The frizzen also ripped the stock at the front of the curl that is nearest the stock. This happened when the test cycling was done by "Joe A" at Lyman. Very disappointing and makes this now a "project " piece when it was supposed to be new and finished. I want to finish making this piece ready to use but I am waiting for Lyman to get back to me. Should I wait or is it a Forlorn Hope?
When you run the ramrod down the barrel, does that bulged area appear to be a wider spot inside as well? I would be concerned that there might be a fault in the barrel. If the rifle is brand new from Lyman, I would probably consider returning it for a new one.

Ramrod works fine in the barrel. It is the inletting that is an issue. As these are discontinued items I am not going to send it back. I will fix the issues myself, but I was very disappointed in the fit of the stock to barrel.

Ramrod works fine in the barrel. It is the inletting that is an issue. As these are discontinued items I am not going to send it back. I will fix the issues myself, but I was very disappointed in the fit of the stock to barrel.
Oh, so it is the wood that has a “hump” in it. Good to hear. Much different story. 😀

I am going to wait for a reply from Lyman and then if no joy from them, I will conduct my own fitting of the barrel to stock. I am amazed that there seems to be a dearth of front stuffers available anywhere.

Back