• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lyman Trade rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone had experience with this rifle? Track has them available, on backorder. The price is right. 54 cal 1/48 . Appreciate any info. gunpa

Yes I have one in 54 Caliber and it shoots great. I changed out the front sight on it as the front blade was way to thick for my liking. I dont shoot it much but for the money its a very nice rifle.

A friend I used to shoot with in IN had one. Think it was a 50. It was very accurate. He was quite the buckskinner and got me started in muzzleloading. He thought highly of it.

Has anyone had experience with this rifle? Track has them available, on backorder. The price is right. 54 cal 1/48 . Appreciate any info. gunpa
My dad's ole elk rifle is a Lyman Trade Rifle in .54 calibre. The trigger is very smooth, great shooting gun. I'm, personally, best with a set trigger, usually a double set trigger. Yet I can shoot his Trade Rifle very accurately, due to the quality trigger.

He bought the gun new back in the late 80's early 90's timeframe.

Mine's on order or should I say backorder? They took my money though! Took my TC out for the first time since fall. It likes Durofelt under Lee r.e.a.l 300gr. 80 grains Black MZ. I think Lyman will out shoot it.

Track has them available, on backorder.
Your a bit confused here friend.
Track does not have them available,, they are listed "back ordered",,
Track of the Wolf has never been a place that market's new rifles for sale.
I know them in a personal manner,, I live 45 miles from their shop,,
They will honor the sale without doubt,, but they are in line to get the rifle from that back-order just as any individual would by going Lyman direct

Last edited:
Track has them in stock according to their website, as of today. In both .50, and .54 caliber.

I looked on their site this morning, and both calibers were in stock. It sure didn't take long for them to be sold. Those guns were Lyman Trade rifles, both going for 499.99. I'm sure the Doc White rifle was more than that price.

I couldn't beat the price and free shipping. IF they ever get them in stock. Nobody has anything in stock these days---- except Dixie Gun Works.

From Sunday 3/27/22;
I looked on their site this morning, and both calibers were in stock. It sure didn't take long for them to be sold.
Uhm, they are closed Saturday's and Sunday's. They do not have an auto-feed to inventory stock while the business is closed. Nothing came into that shop,, nothing went out,, and nothing changed in their on-line inventory status from Friday pm till someone hit's "boot" somewhere's around 6am this morning.

From Sunday 3/27/22;

Uhm, they are closed Saturday's and Sunday's. They do not have an auto-feed to inventory stock while the business is closed. Nothing came into that shop,, nothing went out,, and nothing changed in their on-line inventory status from Friday pm till someone hit's "boot" somewhere's around 6am this morning.
If that is the case, I stand corrected. It's possible I got my days mixed up. Whatever. Posting something to help out on this forum doesn't seem to make much of a difference anymore.

I just called them and spoke with John, the last Lyman Trade Rifles they received was in Sept of 2021. They have 4 orders for them and those orders will be filled before the rifle is listed as available on-line.
That's the way they work, they will always satisfy back-orders first before offering more for sale.
Sharing info to help is a good thing,, if the information is true.
Rocksoild has shared with me that he's another local. I hope to meet him someday soon, perhaps over a beer at the SOB, 😇.
Websites | v1.21.15 | son-of-a-butchers

I talked to Track today. They don't sound optimistic about getting any Lyman rifles this YEAR. So I boxed up a beater barrel and sent it to Bobby Hoyt for a liner.

My first muzzleloader was a Lyman Trade Rifle .50 percussion. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it has a coil spring in the lock. Being my first rifle of any type it holds a special place on the rack. The wood is gorgeous.

I have several Lymans in various configurations. While I don't have a Trade Rifle, I do have Lymans with 1:48 barrels. All shoot to deer accuracy or better. My 54's like 100gr 2f under T/C 430gr Maxis. Other shooters here get good results using less powder than that. Your rifle will tell you what it likes.

Back