• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman prices

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonegun1894

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Just so you all know, I called Lyman customer service yesterday asking about a few spare parts, and was told by the service rep that they are expecting a "significant price increase" due to hit soon because of the falling dollar and prices they were given by the Italian manufacturer. Now I dont know if they were trying to make a sale, or giving a heads up, so I thought I'd pass it on to those of you who may be interested. Does anyone have any ideas if this is something they were trying to help us with, or is it just a sales tactic? I guess he only way to find out is to wait and see, but I've been itching to get another GPR anyway, so this just might be the excuse I need.

Prices have gone up,guns are about $10. but the barrels are up to $203,when they were only $95-110,in Dec.And they may be going up more.
These are on the mid south shooters supply site page 49 of the 2010 catalog,when you click on a item watch the price and you will see the jump.

The value of the dollar varies widely against the euro.

Just for talking, one year ago it cost $1.35 US dollars to buy 1 euros worth of goods.

9 months ago it cost $1.20 US dollars to buy 1 euro's worth of goods.

6 months ago it cost $1.27 US dollars to buy 1 euros worth of goods.

3 months ago it cost $1.30 US dollars to buy 1 euros worth of goods.

Last Friday it cost $1.37 US dollars to buy 1 euros worth of goods.

While this seems to indicate the dollars value is sinking the course could reverse rapidly depending on many things that could happen.

Looked at another way, today's European prices are 2 cents higher per euro last Friday than they were 1 year ago. This doesn't sound like much but the general trend over the last 9 months indicates the dollar is likely to loose value.
Put another way any European product is likely to cost more.

Of course the folks who set the prices use this sort of trend to justify raising their prices and profits as much as they can so right or wrong costs will probably go up even if the dollar starts to gain strength against the euro.

Like I said earlier, I am not trying to start any kind of panic or argument. I was just hoping to pass on what I was told and let everyone make up their own minds. I hope you all are right, and prices stay stable or at least not jump by much. I hope you're right, Zonie, and I expect them to go up in slight increments, as they seem to always do. I'm glad to hear that you all seem to think this is :youcrazy: .

Lonegun1894 said:
Like I said earlier, I am not trying to start any kind of panic or argument. I was just hoping to pass on what I was told and let everyone make up their own minds. I hope you all are right, and prices stay stable or at least not jump by much.
Prices on everything go up as time goes on. Buy what you need now and don't worry about it. Nothing has changed.

Speculating in currency prices is utter financial suicide unless you're a very experienced and risk-tolerant professional trader. Zonie's post about the history of the Euro/dollar position is interesting, but the old saw about 'Past performance is not an indicator of future returns' applies to currencies more than anything else.

Despite what some financial advisors will tell you, currencies respond more to political events than to economic ones. Europe is about to experience significant core inflation, which, when combined with the current Fed policy continuing to weaken the dollar should drive the price of the Euro significantly upward. But the turmoil in the Middle East and North Africa are keeping the dollar strong as it is still the baseline 'currency of the world' - the port in a storm, so to speak.

So, make your own guess about the Euro and Lyman's prices. It'll be as good as anyone else's.

Lyman is doing it's best to catch up with TC and Pedersoli, aren't they?

Their prices are in the range now where a guy can buy a TVM in-the-white gun for only a little more, and have his pick of about ten styles and the full range of calibers suitable for a particular barrel diameter. I really like Lyman's, but I'm through with them. Call me a TVM pusher now!

I have to agree with you. I have a Lyman GPR that was new in '79 and I thought it was really expensive then as the T/C's of the time were on a Christmas special of $139. I know this very well as I bought them then. Now, with these changes in prices and what you can get out there, I don't think they are the "deal" they once were. Yes, still great guns though and I still have my GPR, too. Between TVM or Tip Curtis (I am much more familiar with Tip's) and I am sure there are others. You can get a really decent guns, in a style or cal./ga. that you really want, for not a whole lot more and it doesn't look like a cookie cutter gun. Certainly nothing wrong with a Hawken style of gun, but that is your only choice. Kind of like an early Ford, you can have any color you want, as long as it is black.

Latest posts

Back