• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

SOLD Lyman Great Plains Rife .50 (REDUCED)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
For Sale Lyman Great Plains Rifle .50 cal. (SADDLE AND BLANKET NOT INCLUDED)
Rifle is in good condition with nice wood. I have never fired this rifle, but the bore is great. No pitting, the grooves have a little reddish color like most muzzleloaders but the bore is very nice. Please note the sight- the gentleman I bought the rifle from had installed that sight as he put it "for old eyes", so it is not a historically correct rear sight. In the picture it looks more noticeable than it is. Barrel finish is thinner on the sharp parts with a some occasional speckling. Barrel does not have the entire manual printed on it. NEW PRICE (just got a bill for some medical expenses) INCLUDES SHIPPING NOW 450.00
Thank you,
lyman 1.jpg

David

Attachments

• lyman 7.jpg
    lyman 7.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • lyman 6.jpg
    lyman 6.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • lyman 5.jpg
    lyman 5.jpg
    848.6 KB · Views: 0
  • lyman 4.jpg
    lyman 4.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • lyman 3.jpg
    lyman 3.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • lyman2.jpg
    lyman2.jpg
    807.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Rifle is in good condition with nice wood. I have never fired this rifle, but the bore is great. No pitting, the grooves have a little reddish color like most muzzleloaders but the bore is very nice. Please note the sight- the gentleman I bought the rifle from had installed that sight as he put it "for old eyes", so it is not a historically correct rear sight. In the picture it looks more noticeable than it is. Barrel finish is thinner on the sharp parts with a some occasional speckling. Barrel does not have the entire manual printed on it. 485.00 shipped (price is firm).
Thank you,View attachment 224676
David
Nice gun .... but .... LOVE that saddle :oops::horseback:. Rode many, seen more, never one like that. Polecat

You say it's a .50 cal. but your sig. card says .40 cal.??? No big deal I'm not buying, just curious which it is?
Thanks.
God bless:
Two Feathers
I think he’s referring to his designation caliber from his member handle.

Dear Polecat,
Thank you. I was a period saddler for many years full time. Mostly 1840-65. That one is an 1835 style tree Spanish style. Very comfortable.
Thanks again,
David
I knew it was a basic Spanish style, but nicer, prettier, than most. It is really nice. Did you make it? Polecat

Rifle is in good condition with nice wood. I have never fired this rifle, but the bore is great. No pitting, the grooves have a little reddish color like most muzzleloaders but the bore is very nice. Please note the sight- the gentleman I bought the rifle from had installed that sight as he put it "for old eyes", so it is not a historically correct rear sight. In the picture it looks more noticeable than it is. Barrel finish is thinner on the sharp parts with a some occasional speckling. Barrel does not have the entire manual printed on it. 485.00 shipped (price is firm).
David
I have one of these and love it. This is my primary hunter. I save my "pretty and fancy" ones for the range. For anyone interested, this is available in a slow twist and fast twist. I have both barrels. They swap without tools. The fast twist is says "hunter" near the caliber marking. Both shoot very well, but one with conical and the other with PRB. You might want to add the twist rate to your listing.

I have one of these and love it. This is my primary hunter. I save my "pretty and fancy" ones for the range. For anyone interested, this is available in a slow twist and fast twist. I have both barrels. They swap without tools. The fast twist is says "hunter" near the caliber marking. Both shoot very well, but one with conical and the other with PRB. You might want to add the twist rate to your listing.
I really don't know what the twist is- I have not shot this rifle.

Look at the pictures. In the pictures the rifle has two barrel wedges. The Lyman Great Plains Hunter has only one barrel wedge. So it is a Great Plains Rifle.
As I mentioned, I have this rifle and both styles of barrel. Hatchet Jack is correct. Both barrels have two wedges.

The identification is rather simple. If the barrel says "Great Plains Hunter" then it's a fast twist for conicals. If the barrel says "Great Plains rifle" then it's a slow twist for round ball.

Attachments

• IMG-3941.jpg
    IMG-3941.jpg
    706.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-3940.jpg
    IMG-3940.jpg
    533.8 KB · Views: 0
Gentlemen,
Thank you for your insight. It does not say HUNTER. I will try to get a picture of the barrel tonight or tomorrow with the writing on it. Thank you,
David

Rifle is in good condition with nice wood. I have never fired this rifle, but the bore is great. No pitting, the grooves have a little reddish color like most muzzleloaders but the bore is very nice. Please note the sight- the gentleman I bought the rifle from had installed that sight as he put it "for old eyes", so it is not a historically correct rear sight. In the picture it looks more noticeable than it is. Barrel finish is thinner on the sharp parts with a some occasional speckling. Barrel does not have the entire manual printed on it. NEW PRICE (just got a bill for some medical expenses) INCLUDES SHIPPING NOW 450.00
David
SOLD PENDING FUNDS. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back