• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott taylor

40 Cal.
Reaction score
For some reason I have been craving a Great Plains pistol. Since I have never laid eyes on one much less handled one was wondering how they are out of the box? Do they have a heavy "lawyers" trigger on them? Don't really care to have to tinker and tune. I do know you get what you pay for but.....

I thoroughly enjoy shooting mine. Trigger doesn't compare to my tuned 2lb single actions but it isn't bad.

Make sure that you handle one before you buy. I have one in .54 caliber, and it is a little too large for my short, stubby fingers. Other than that, it is an excellent shooter.

You do have to keep the barrel clean, though. If I keep the barrel clean, it will shoot very nice groups at 50 yards (all inside the 8 ring). If I don't, it will not keep five shots inside the scoring rings at that distance.

I have one in 50. Trigger's okay, excellent shooter and a lot of fun to shoot. Accurate and reliable, good balance. Get one. :thumbsup:

I must be one of the lucky ones my Great Plains pistol has 3 pound trigger pull. It is a great gun.

cynthialee said:
Never owned one but I did get to shoot one.
I want it is my answer to that!

:)

The trigger pull seemed normal enough. But I don't know if the thing had been altered.

it was my pistol cynthia shot and the trigger is factory. its not a match grade trigger but i wouldnt say its terrible.

i still need to get around to finding a proper load for that pistol...

-matt

I would love to have one in .54 to match my .54 rifle. Heard they are very accurate pistols.

Don

I will probably go with a .54 due to an excess of ball in that calibre. I figure since a .54 ball weighs about 230 gn I think, a 44 spcl or 45 colt case of 2f should be adequate.
I really need this thing like a hole in the head but I can't help it.

I want the .50 version. That way I could shoot the same ammo from the pistol that I use in my rifle. I do have a .54, but I do not like it as much as my .50's.

I have been wondering how well a heavy conical would work in these pistols.

My first attempt at building a kit was a Plains Pistol in .54 a few years ago. Mine likes 20 gr of 3F (655fps) which is a great small game load. Thats a fun load to shoot clays with at 100 yards since there is enough delay and little smoke so you can see the impact. Its also accurate with 45 gr of 3F (890fps) but hits about 3" to the right of the 20 gr load at 50 yards. I shoot the 20 gr load more often so I'm not adjusting the sights. The trigger is very good on mine just as it came from the factory. Here are a couple grouse taken with it last year using the 20 gr load.

Muzzleloaders2011Baseball081.jpg

To all- I just ordered a .54 from Track plus a few other dodads. I am revolver poor but never have messed with a single shot. This one seemed like a good place to start.

Fed-Ex brought it a while ago on a Saturday no less. All of the writing on the barrel about reading manuals and blackpowder only realy turns me off. Plus the belt clip is wobbly but the trigger seems OK. It will probaly be returned. They really didn't need to put all that manure on the barrel, sign of the times I guess.

OK and good shooter. Coil spring lock seems slow, but reliable. Stocks are some Euro wood, maybe beech, but hard and tough. Way too much wood on the stock, but that can be fixed with a rasp and sandpaper.

If you compare it to a scratch-built Hawken, the quality is not there. If you want a single shot muzzle loader to drag through the woods to accompany your similar caliber rifle, its good.

You are not looking at an Olympic medal winner pistol, but very serviceable out-of-the-box. My experience is with the precussion verzion, can't comment on the flinter.

I agree with you. My .54 Lyman WILL shoot quite accurately, but it takes a great deal of careful attention to the details of grip and even cleaning between shots to make it do so -- much more than either of my Bondini flintlocks.

Nice set of birds yo got there PB1!

I have the .54 Plains pistol, built from a kit to match my kit built GPR is same cal.
Great shooter for what it is.
P1290756.jpg

Back