• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman Great Plains rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the many responses and advice. I'm starting to get a feel for what's involved so that first range session might go half decent...... :grin:

My buddy is getting back from vacation this week so I can get him up to speed on what I've learned so far and see what rifle he wants to start with.

Thanks again,

Jim

After sorting things out you will find it very gratifying when you are shooting great groups with a traditional rifle. The best inline rifles have nothing on a GPR out to 125+ yards. Many of them do not shoot as well. Also, They take just as much time to load and clean.

I've seen some amazing shooting with a traditional muzzleloader. By the way, this may sound weird: In over 20 years of shooting black powder I have never seen a T/C win, or even place in the top 3, a shooting competiton. I know that seems stange but it is the truth. :hmm:

CrackerJim said:
Thanks for the many responses and advice. I'm starting to get a feel for what's involved so that first range session might go half decent...... :grin:

My buddy is getting back from vacation this week so I can get him up to speed on what I've learned so far and see what rifle he wants to start with.

Thanks again,

Jim

It hasn't come up yet Jim, but with a little experience under your belt using your GPR 54 and an optimum deer/big game hunting load, you may want to explore the "other side" of its abilities.

Mine is a deadly small game rifle with 35 grains of Pyrodex P or Goex 3f. It will stack shot after shot into one ragged hole at 25 yards, and I use it all winter long for smacking bunny heads. If we had squirrels up here, I'd use it for them, too.

With 50-60 grains of either of those powders, its got a bit more whomp than I want for small game, but that turns it into a dandy 50 yard target and plinking gun.

All that's possible with no change in sights from your hunting loads. I've got mine sighted in dead on at 75 yards and it's right on with both those lighter loads at 25 and 50 and not far off at points between. Surely not enough to make me change point of aim on snowshoe hare heads all the way out to 50.

Especially with small game hunting in the mix, you're going to get lots more field time and shooting, which will turn the rifle into your best friend come deer season.

Enjoy!

wwpete52 said:
I've seen some amazing shooting with a traditional muzzleloader. By the way, this may sound weird: In over 20 years of shooting black powder I have never seen a T/C win, or even place in the top 3, a shooting competiton. I know that seems stange but it is the truth. :hmm:

I've got a friend who shoots a T/C Hawken and he consistantly places in the shoots he enters. This year he won the cross sticks reentry at the Wyoming state shoot with it. Earlier in the year he placed second in the John Colter memorial shoot.

Those rifles will shoot great if you get the proper load and a good shot behind them. I think the reason you don't see more of them show up in the winners circle in competition is that they are an entry piece. Most new shooters don't know that you need to work up a load for them. With the wrong load they don't shoot to competitive quality.

Great rifles. It was an experience with a GPR many years ago now that started me down the BP road.
I was shooting at a range out on Long Island, NY. A young fellow plunks his stuff down at the point next to me. ("Hi. howya doin.") He uncases a GPR, loads it, and proceeds to shoot offhand at 100yds. He kept all his shots for the session inside six inches. I was impressed. I had lots of questions. Went out and bought my first ML the next day.
Pete

Thanks for all the information. This has helped me to get a feel for what's involved with BP shooting.

I work construction and there is a delay in my next job. Hopefully, this won't be a problem but you never know in this industry.

Assuming everything goes ok and the job comes through, I'll be getting into BP shooting. Still leaning to the Lyman GPR but am looking at the trade rifle as well. Too bad no stores around here carry these rifles so I could handle them. I'm wondering if the GPR is going to seem muzzle heavy.....I shoot my 1909 Swedish Mauser offhand, maybe I should measure that barrel and see how it compares to the length of the GPR.

Anyway, hopefully I'll be joining the ML ranks real soon! :thumbsup:

Jim

Sure, the GPR has some heft up front. I even added a solid brass ramrod which added a bit of weight. Myself, I think it helps my offhand shooting.
96 Swede and 09 Argys in full military garb with 29 inch barrels are hefty rifles, and if you can shoot them offhand, you won't have a problem with a GPR. :2

Jim, you'll have a lot of fun with your muzzleloader. Hurry and get one and start burning powder!

I was hoping that the Swede would be heavy enough to get me in shape for the GPR......I'll just have to shoot it some more.....training you know! :grin:

So, while I wait for my project to come through, I've got the Lyman GPR at MidSouth for just over $400 and the T/C Hawken at Track of the Wolf for $400.........gives me something to think about!

I've checked the couple of pawn shops in our area that carry firearms but no dice on anything used (too bad, as the right price on a good used rifle and I wouldn't have to wait for the project to come through...).

Jim

BrownBear said:
Better yet is to buy a replacement nipple. They're cheap, so no big sweat. I've had great luck with Butler Creek nipples and Hot Shot Nipples. The correct size is 6mm x 0.75mm.

BrownBear, maybe I'm lost but I can't track down the metric Hot Shot nipples. Are they made by TC? Or are these the Knight Red Hot nipples?

Uncle Mike makes the Hot shot nipples. Look for them under " nipples " with the suppliers. They are carried by many firms.

" I've got the Lyman GPR at MidSouth for just over $400 and the T/C Hawken at Track of the Wolf for $400.........gives me something to think about!"

can't beat the Lyman for quality and being closer to a replica of the original guns than the TC products, I don't think the longer barrel of the LGP should be of concern I hunted with one for a coule of seasons in the brushy NW Oregon coast are and now use guns with 42" and 44" barrels, getting past the typical modern rifle barrel length mindset comes pretty quick once you get started, I don't notice anything unyeilding when going thru the brush or bringing the gun up when hunting with the 44" barrel fusil and the 32" barrel on my LGP was not an issue at all for me, if ya just go out and do it it does not even come to mind, hunters auto pilot takes over and all will be well.

AZ-Robert said:
BrownBear said:
Better yet is to buy a replacement nipple. They're cheap, so no big sweat. I've had great luck with Butler Creek nipples and Hot Shot Nipples. The correct size is 6mm x 0.75mm.

BrownBear, maybe I'm lost but I can't track down the metric Hot Shot nipples. Are they made by TC? Or are these the Knight Red Hot nipples?

I was probably being sloppy in words. Knight's are called Red Hots, but I think Uncle Mike's are in fact called Red Hot. You got the size right. Lately I've been using some regulars from Butler Creek. I got a 3-pack from The Gun Works for not much money, and they work great too, if you don't feel the need for a hotter nipple. I've tried both regular and the hot ones in my GPRs with Pyro, Triple Seven and regular black powder, and for the life of me I can't tell the difference.

Thanks for the comments. I like the look of the Lyman GPR and from reading many of the threads in the forum, I like the 54 caliber over the 50. Also, since I'm mainly interested in round ball, the twist rate in the lyman rifle would be fine.

Jim

Cracker---Nothing lie shooting those big round balls. Astonishing accuracy and with 54 cal you have so much versatility. I load mine down sometimes to 45 grains for plinking or small game. Load it up to 110 grains for the big stuff. 100 grains is ideal as far as I have found for deer and over 50 yard shooting on larger game. The other thing I noted is the point of impact doesn't seem to change, 50 yards or under, which is great regardless of the load between 70 and 100 grains!

Cracker
My vote is for the .54 GPR also.
Be aware that there are 2 different GP guns. The GPR has the slow twist for RB's, and the GPH has a faster twist for conicals. I'd hate to see you get the wrong one by mistake. :wink:

So, while I wait for my project to come through, I've got the Lyman GPR at MidSouth for just over $400 and the T/C Hawken at Track of the Wolf for $400.........gives me something to think about!

There is nothing to think about between the two. You should be able to find a used T/C Hawken on one of the Gun Auction sites for $250.00 to $300.00 any day of the week. If you are willing to spend around $400.00 go ahead and buy the NEW GPR for $409. You won't regret it.

Robert

Back