• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman GPR question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardtimes

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I just picked up my first flint lock. It is a new in box 50 cal Lyman Great Plains Hunter. I would have rather had the 1 in 60" twist for PRBs but for $200 for a new in box flinter I could not pass it up.

Now for my question, will the 1 in 32 stablize the TC maxi balls, or minnie balls or and I stuck using sabots?

Thanks
Ray

It will work fine with the Maxis and minnies. No need for S*&%#s. For right around $200, give or take, you can pick up a Green Mountain drip in round ball barrel in .50 or .54. You will be sitting pretty with two rifles for $400. :thumbsup:

BTW, mentioning those plastic thingies on this forum is kinda like asking a nun about her underwear. :shocked2:

marmotslayer said:
It will work fine with the Maxis and minnies.

Thats what I wanted to hear. Oh and I did not mean to ask anyone about their undies :surrender:

I tried to go back and edit it but I cant.

Undies ????
We don't wear no stinkin' undies !!!! We just have round balls. :rotf: :rotf:

To my knowledge GM dropin barrels aren't available for the GPR. If something's changed recently that would make me happy.

But in the meantime you can get either 50 and 54 cal 1:60" Lyman flint barrels for $220 from Midsouth. This is a link to the 54, but you can go back one page and find the 50, too.

Good to know Midsouth has the Lyman barrels. I spent most of yesterday evening looking for the GM drop in for the Lyman and found nothing. I will give the hunter barrel a try with the TC maxi balls and go from there.
Thanks
Ray

Be sure to try some shots with a lubed felt wad or "button" between powder and maxi. If you're satisfied with accuracy without the wad, fine. But if accuracy isn't up to your specs, lots of folks (me included) have been able to improve groups significantly with one.

Don't get too caught up in the ROT thing. :hmm:

Until you shoot it at least. It may surprise you. :wink:

Track of the wolfe will modify a GM drop in to fit a GP,for a price.I think you would be far better with a Lyman 1:60 barrel.

For $200 you got a great deal on a new GPR. I have a .54 percussion GPR and have done well with it. I've since moved on to flinters. Now if you can get that RB barrle you'll have two guns. :wink:

We don't wear no stinkin' undies !!!! We just have round balls. :shake:

ebiggs said:

I am going to give it a try. I hope to make it out sometime this weekend. We will have to see though they are calling for rain all weekend.

Anyone got any pointers for a first type flint lock shooter?

$200 for a sabot gun? I live in Condor country where copper sabots are mandatory for hunting. GREAT DEAL! And with $200 for a RB barrel you really will have it all...good job!

You should be able to shoot RB as well, you might not be able to use maximum charge but with moderate loads RB should work quite well in 1-32 barrel.

hardtimes said:
ebiggs said:

I am going to give it a try. I hope to make it out sometime this weekend. We will have to see though they are calling for rain all weekend.

Anyone got any pointers for a first type flint lock shooter?

Don't try to "over" load that twist and I bet it will shoot better than you might expect.

“Anyone got any pointers for a first type flint lock shooter?”

Yes, use black powder only, no substitutes, use either Rich Pierce or English flints, and wipe down the barrel between shots (avoid running the patch all the way to the breach face use the least amount of moisture on the wiping patch before running dry patch.) Also wipe the frizzen, flint, and pan with rag between shots. And as already stated start with a light charge like 55 grains and work up. And by all means GO SLOW.

Back