• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman Deerstalker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scharms

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been offered a .50 Lyman Deerstalker flintlock from a buddy. It has only been fired 10 times then cleaned & put in the safe... I must confess that I don't know much about them. What is the general consensus regarding the quality?

Quality is good, as good as it gets for production muzzleloaders. On par with the other Lymans and TCs. The deerstalker is not as traditional in appearance though as compared to the great Plains and Trade Rifle.

I will add, the Flint Deerstalkers are popular in my home state of PA. They are not the best choice for those wanting a more traditional appearance, as they have a rubber buttpad, more modern architecture, and blackened aluminum trim.

My dad, brother, and uncle use the Lyman Deerstalkers for PAs flintlock season, and they all work well. My youngest brother uses a Lyman Trade Rifle, which I prefer, but quality wise they are the same. Use a good English flint, and they will put meat on the table.

I have found the quality to be quite good. The fit and finish, wood quality, and mechanical working are as good as most any factory made BP rifle. It leaves nothing wanting in the accuracy department either. This has become my go to rifle for PA deer season as it is light, handles well, points great and as i said, put the lead where you point it.

One more vote for the Deerslayer. Mine is percussion, but it is a light, very accurate and handy hunting gun. The flinter would be too.

While its not a custom flinter, overall its a very servicable rifle. Tune up the lock, maybe harden the frizzen and get a better touchhole and your in for a pretty reliable accurate rifle. The one i had liked .490ball w/.15 patch or hornady pa conicals.

My deerstalker just came home. I sold it last year, and finaly got it back, trading 2 22's for an inline that I traded for my old flinter.
It shoots great, sparks well and is very reliable. When I pull the trigger I know there will be smoke/flames and great noise. :grin:

Thanks all for the replies. I'll probably spring for it but I do have one question, what is the approximate weight of this rig? Surely it must be lighter than my T/C Hawken flint...

Never actually weighed mine but the Lyman site says 7 lbs and that feels about right for what mine seems to weigh.

The weight is light at about seven pounds. As noted above it is not one of the more PC/HC rifles. It is what it is, a great deer hunting rifle. I really like mine as all my hunting is either from a stalk or in a tree stand. It's the smokepole equivalent of the 30-30 winchester lever gun.

Mine is very reliable and I am finding it to be very accurate now that I am getting a feel for the loads it likes.

Back