• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman 57GPR on left handed rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Stella

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone put a Lyman 57GPR sight on a Left Handed Great Plains Rifle? If so was there enough clearance for the hammer to work?

Thanks

Sort of, but it's tight. Worse, things can get all snarled up when you're wearing gloves or not paying attention.

TC used to make a Hunter peep sight that's a lot smaller and works really well. I just did some googling and Midway still lists them, though I didn't confirm they were still in stock. I think folks are still selling them on the auction sites, but at inflated prices.

They're such a good sight I ratholed some when they were first discontinued. Intended for TC's, they're a perfect fit on the GPR, but you have to back out the orifice in order to start the rear mounting bolt.

Edit-

BTW- Pedersoli now lists a Ghost Creedmore sight that looks all kinds of promising as a replacement model, but I haven't confirmed that the bolt spacing is right for either TC or Lyman. Worth a check, because in general this style of sight poses no problems for left- or right-handed gun models.

Thanks I like the look of that sight much better anyway.

Do you know if the holes are spaced for the Great Plains Hunter or will I have to have it drilled and tapped?

Sorry did not see your edit. I mean on the sight from Midway.

Those on the TC sight are perfect for the GPH, though I can't confirm it on the Pedersoli. Whether on a TC rifle or Lyman you have to screw out the aperture first before installing the rear bolt/screw. It won't go past the aperture, and your screwdriver won't either. Not a big deal. I only use the aperture on mine for sighting in and for longer shots. Otherwise I'm shooting it as a "ghost ring" very much like the appearance of that Pedersoli sight. Fortunately for me, the Lyman and Williams apertures fit the sight too, because I'm prone to losing them when I take them out.

Back