• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lubing patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I figured somebody hacked his account!
No, just giving a little grief to those helpful folk that throw out their advise but really don't have a clue. I understand many want to be helpful on these posts and thats a great thing but many times the "one sided" answers, the answers not thought out or tried or mostly from those who didn't actually bother to read the post except for the title gets old and deserves a little teasing.

Ok, shooting traditional muzzle loader is not brain surgery but it does take a little common sense. I load my rifle at the beginning of deer or what ever season and leave it loaded until shot or if it gets wet or the end of the season. For my lube I make a mix of 1:6 caster oil and denatured alcohol. I soak my patch material ( pillow ticking cut in strips) in the mix, lay them out to dry. They work great, just enough lube that does not seem to contaminate the powder. I learned about this technique about 3 years ago and use it for all shooting events. I’m 73 and have been shooting muzzle loaders since I was 16. Thus demonstrating that an old dog can learn new tricks or…I’m just a slow learner. 🤔🤔🤔

NO! That would only make a mess. Lots of methods others will discuss. Mine is to take a large piece of the washed patch material I intened to use (ticking), lay it out on a flat surface the rub with my lube. Currenly, my lube is beeswax and whale oil. A good alternative is beeswax and jojoba oil. Lesser, but still good choice can be a lot of animal source oils like whale; bear; beef/bison/sheep/tallow, etc. straight or mixed with beeswax. Lube the material, tear into useful sizes and store in plastic baggies. That is how the original mountain men did it. 😉
Where do you get Whale oil? I thought all Whale products were banned?

Use bacon grease, and your dog will always stay at your side!
We've found that using lubing made from deer tallow, beeswax and neatsfoot oil that any dog around will race downrange and gobble up these rotten smelling patches. Have to really police the range picking up patches before letting the dogs loose. Since I switched to olive oil for lube they don't seem as interested. Well maybe the Italian Greyhound. lol

I only asked because of after using olive oil for years it has been mentioned several times that olive oil with run into my powder and ruin powder charge. I often leave my rifles loaded for a month at a time before firing but have realized now that my lubing and squeezing out the excess must be all wrong and there must be a right way to do this. Or many that reply to posts really have no idea what they are talking about.

You should not be surprised at some of the responses you got, including mine based on your original post.

When lubing patch material does one pour oil down the barrel on top of charge then push patch down or should you push patch down then por powder down the barrel then seat ball.

Quite inexplicable that you would make a serious statement suggesting pouring olive oil down the barrel. :eek: it really doesn't address what you seem to be thinking about whereas your follow up discussion does clarify it.

Lube migration into the powder charge surely is not a good thing and is to be avoided.

I too use olive oil for lube but not in the straight form. I mix it with alcohol in a ratio favoring the alcohol then squirt it onto a strip of patching. The alcohol soon evaporates and leaves a light coating of evenly applied and consistent lube.

This works with other oils as well. I've done it with other oils as well including veg oil, canola oil and castor oil.

Latest posts

Back