• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lubing ,immie balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Lubrisizer die I use does not size the minie ball but applies the right amount of lube so none is wasted, same with what he called a sizing die is actually a snug fitting die that I use to extract the minie's from the pan of lube. I use a shallow baking pan to set the minies base down then heat the lube to liquid, remove the heat and let it cool. Then push the die over the bullet and go to the next repeat when you have enough bullets in the die they start popping out the top, depending on the length of the die, when the last bullet is out of the pan, just push the remaining bullets out of the die with a dowel.

The Lubrisizer die I use does not size the minie ball but applies the right amount of lube so none is wasted, same with what he called a sizing die is actually a snug fitting die that I use to extract the minie's from the pan of lube. I use a shallow baking pan to set the minies base down then heat the lube to liquid, remove the heat and let it cool. Then push the die over the bullet and go to the next repeat when you have enough bullets in the die they start popping out the top, depending on the length of the die, when the last bullet is out of the pan, just push the remaining bullets out of the die with a dowel.
Why not just dip-lube them? The excess will be removed by the muzzle when you ram them. Just keep a rag handy. I don't know why you'd need a sizing die to lube Minie balls.
Lots of moulds cast larger than the stated size. A ".575" mould that casts at .577 isn't going to work in a .577 bore.

Why not just dip-lube them? The excess will be removed by the muzzle when you ram them. Just keep a rag handy. I don't know why you'd need a sizing die to lube Minie balls.
You don't need a sizing die to lube Minie balls.

However, if you are sizing your Minie balls, then the Lubrisizer is a convenient way to size and lubricate in one step.

It also makes sure that only the required amount of lube is on the bullet.

I only size-lube hollow-based bullets, which I mostly avoid now as they are tedious to cast. My go-to competition bullets now are the Flees Sharps bullet and the Moose Wilkinson. Both of these have to be dip-lubed.

I "pan lube" my minies and I made a set of nylon "dies" that remove the lubed minies from the pan and also forms the skirts round when the minies are pushed through the female form die. This removes the excess lube and trues up the skirts if they are out of round. P1020101.JPGP1020102.JPG

Zug, you brought back memories of 1960-62, when I was 14-16. Our NSSA group would meet on Friday nights to cast and lube Minie's. then make up cardboard tube cartridges for the weekend target shoots around the greater Washington DC area.
We lubed with a beeswax mix, which, when firing, got all around our mouths, allowing the black powder smoke to adhere to our faces!

Zug, you brought back memories of 1960-62, when I was 14-16. Our NSSA group would meet on Friday nights to cast and lube Minie's. then make up cardboard tube cartridges for the weekend target shoots around the greater Washington DC area.
We lubed with a beeswax mix, which, when firing, got all around our mouths, allowing the black powder smoke to adhere to our faces!
P1020104.JPGP1020105.JPG

I've only owned one .58 rifle but sold it after several years. I've never had much use for the .58 and much prefer the .54. When I cast and fired minies for it I used a lube concoction I mixed for it. Then I took one ply of bathroom tissue and wrapped the lubed minie. They no longer slid out the muzzle when it pointed toward the ground. They shot okay but I just liked round ball much better.

I've only owned one .58 rifle but sold it after several years. I've never had much use for the .58 and much prefer the .54. When I cast and fired minies for it I used a lube concoction I mixed for it. Then I took one ply of bathroom tissue and wrapped the lubed minie. They no longer slid out the muzzle when it pointed toward the ground. They shot okay but I just liked round ball much better.
IMHO, minies are best suited to rifle muskets designed to shoot them. That means a slow twist with progressive depth rifling and moderate powder charges that are suited to bullet weight and rifling. I could never understand why people want to shoot them out of round ball barrels. The same for those who want to shoot round balls out of a rifle musket.

I "pan lube" my minies and I made a set of nylon "dies" that remove the lubed minies from the pan and also forms the skirts round when the minies are pushed through the female form die. This removes the excess lube and trues up the skirts if they are out of round.View attachment 273552View attachment 273553
I used to pan lube .45 maxi's and use 1/2" copper pipe to pop em out of the cooled lube. I was living in El Centro and used a mix of butter crisco, paraffin wax, and beef fat so the desert heat wouldn't melt the lube out. Worked pretty good.

Back