• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lubing bullets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leadhoarder

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I plan on casting some bullets from a TC maxi bullet mold.

How do I go about adding lube to them?
If I buy some SPG do I dip them in molten lube or can I put the lube into the grooves using my hands? I have never used SPG so I am unfamiliar with it. I would think dipping them would not work well to fill the grooves unless I wait for it to harden using a pan lube technique.

I do have some lambs tallow and beeswax that I bought for making lube for use with revolvers but I have not played around with that yet either.

I assume that modern lubes like alox is a no go?

I use a blackpowder lube I got from White Lube Lube heated till melted inside of steel pie pans. Place the maxi-balls upright in the pan using needle nose pliers and lube only the bottom grove. If I need to adjust the level of the hot lube I use a turkey baster to remove some. Let the lube and bullets cool to a solid than use a t/c speed loader (your choice of caliber) press down over the bullets to the bottom of the pan than pull to remove bullet from pan. Best regards.

Just stuff the lube in the grooves with your fingers. I can lube enough bullets that way to shoot more than I want to shoot in a session at the range in just a few minutes. Unless you are a high volume target shooter, the time and energy to melt the lube, cut the bullets out & clean up everything is just not worth the effort. Just so happens, I lubed 20 Maxi-Balls today to shoot the next nice day we get in about 15 minutes using SPG lube. I quit making it more work than it needs to be a long time ago. Just sayin'.

Back