• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

LUBEWARS REMEMBERED

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The distilled water might not be a bad idea.
Here in Phoenix, they add Fluoridation to the water. They also add Chlorine to kill the germs.

If I wanted to make some jumps in logic, I could say Fluorine is very similar to Chlorine.
Chlorine in bleach will rapidly do a number on any steel part it touches (like instant rust).
Now, I understand there are different chemicals which contain chlorine and fluorine, and I understand that some of these do not effect steel (like Trichlorethylene (sp)) but if I wanted to be on the safe side, I might think about using distilled water. :)

Zonie said:
Here in Phoenix, they add Fluoridation to the water. They also add Chlorine to kill the germs.
And up on this end of the state, there are so many minerals in the tap water that it will leave a nice white crust wherever it dries. Some homeowners solve that problem with water softeners, trading sodium for the other minerals. :shocked2:

The wife uses distilled water in her fish tanks -- I pilfer from the stash to get water for brewing my beer, and to clean my guns.

I have used brakeclean at my job for 30 year,s.It has change,d, Thank,s to the EPA. It will absorb water,not displace it. I can clean a part with it and let it sit for a bit and there will be dew like haze on the part.I think it would be a good between round cleaner, if used BETWEEN dry patches. If I used it to clean my gun,s with. I would make sure I had a way to dry the part,s a.s.a.p. Then use a very thin oil to get in all the tight spot,s. DO NOT USE HIGH HEAT OR FLAME. VERY FLAMABLE. Pre EPA we used it to put out carburator fire,s. Now it,s a torch. I dont have a can handy to see what,s in it, I would think a alcohol base of some kind.

And they still call it water wiyh all thatin it? fred :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back