• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lube Test One Week

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nw_hunter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
The photo's for week one test are not very good , but perhaps show some results.

I'm sort of red faced after bragging on the wd40 for rust prevention, and calling olive oil bad as a preventative..Out of all the lubes used, wd40 failed the most. Since most of the rust was on the back side of the nails, the order in the photo's are reversed. The wd 40 now on the right side, and the olive oil on the left.

As you can see the Hoppe's oil has a lot of rust.
The ATF did a much better job, and the bore butter shows a lot of rust.

So far the olive oil is winning, with no rust, and the ATF #2

test008.jpg

Interesting, Oregon is a good place for a rust preventative test, I may try some olive oil if the test holds up I usually have some that I use in my lube at times for patches and fibered wads, won't be long and things will get real wet around these parts.

nw_hunter said:
I'm sort of red faced after bragging on the wd40 for rust prevention, and calling olive oil bad as a preventative..Out of all the lubes used, wd40 failed the most...

WD40 is neither a rust preventive nor a lubricant. It is formulated to disperse water. That's what the "D" and the "W" represent in "WD-40". Water Disperal, version 40.

I knew all along that Pop Eye was right. He used Olive Oyl from the very beginning and never got rusty :shocked2: :shocked2:

We have it in the North Willamette valey as well,lots more around the corner, deer season, Grouse, cool foggy mornings...gotta love it :)

Week two and the Wd 40 has failed the test miserably.Hoppe's gun oil was almost as bad,The ATF with a few spots of rust showing.The Bore Butter shows a few more spots than the ATF.The Olive oil is the clear winner, and still bright and free of rust.I would never have thunked it :shocked2:

test2018.jpg

test2019.jpg

test2020.jpg

test2021.jpg

test013.jpg

Try LPS3. It will protect bare metal for 1 year outdoors. Grainger and other industrial suppies have it. I have found nothing better.

. sep 21 / 2:30pm

this really is a great idea.. i only wish you would have added a synthetic gun oil (birchwood-casey, etc.) to the mix since they are supposed to be as good as petroleum based products..

lps3 would also be another good candidate since i've seen claims that it will last up to 2 years and is a 'gun friendly' substance.

are you planning a second trial anytime soon ?

~d~

Well I didn't say it wouldn't work, just you'll end up with a soupy mess if you don't clean often. I have to wonder when they did those tests in 1975 how often they cleaned the guns used in the test.

Check the two links I provided above. Pretty complete.

Latest posts

Back