• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

LOTM

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackhorse

40 Cal.
Reaction score
While watching movies, such as Last of the Mohicans, the Patriot, the Mountainmen, do you pay attention to the "accuracy" of things. It drives Kat to tears when I point things out. The funny part of this, is that I do not look for these things, sometimes they just jump out. I watch these types of movies purely for the entertainment value.

I find it quite entertaining to look for the inaccuarcies. Some of my favorites are in LOTM. Like when the guy wearing a red baseball cap steps out from behind a tree in the elk hunting scene. Doesn't get any more period incorrect than that!

I don't purposely look for things but do notice when they appear. For example, in Dances with Wolves at the end when the shot is of birds flying overhead, they are Sandhill cranes but the sound track is of Canada geese.

I will admit I watched the Mountain Men a bit more closely as it was billed as being authentic, or at least more authentic than other movies.

Rick

The whole premise in Dances with Wolves that the Sioux knew nothing of the white men by the 1860s is complete nonsense. They had been trading with white men for a long time by this point and were already very nervous about their future. But for all of that, I still enjoy the film.

There was a film about the mountainmen made around the time of the Charleton Heston film that I recall as being pretty good. No big names in it, but they tried to be authentic. Does anyone remember a film like this?

The major thing that jumped out at me in "The Mountain Men" was they had Wyeth as a pilgrim in 1838. The real Wyeth had gone though the Pierre's Hole fight in 1832 and had been back and forth through the mountains ever since. He did try shipping salmon over the Rockies but lost his shorts in the enterprise.

The movies are good entertainment and I don't get too excited about mistakes unless they are so obnoxious as to take away from the film. I do enjoy finding them.

I seem to remember the film Russ is talking about but am having the same brain fart on the title.

Seems like there's one scene where one trapper is in a stream, maybe setting out traps, and he gets jumped by an Indian. And a fight ensues--can't remember who won though.

Have you ever seen anyone hunt deer the way they do at the beginning of the film? Running through the forest like a bunch of lunatics chasing after a deer? Good thing the deer they finally shot was already dead and stuffed--it was probably a bit easier to catch up to than a real live one would have been!

yeah i guess that ol' Dan loves to run...alot :rotf: of course the movie is COMPLETELY different from the book, Hawkeye and his buddies would chase deer to water then shoot the swimming deer from a canoe

but i guess its about as ridiculous as Robert DeNiro chasing that one buck all over the mountains in 'The Deer Hunter'
:hmm:

All I can say they are better than High school musical, And the X-men.. Think thats an Elk they are chasing in the LOTM..

"Have you ever seen anyone hunt deer the way they do at the beginning of the film? Running through the forest like a bunch of lunatics chasing after a deer"

No, but I ran twice as fast down a mountain near Port Alexander AK thirty years ago when the willows started to thrash and a growling sound came from within them when I was picking huckelberries near the thicket.....gun was back on boat, I had forgot which island we had tied up at to wait out a storm.

tg said:
"Have you ever seen anyone hunt deer the way they do at the beginning of the film? Running through the forest like a bunch of lunatics chasing after a deer"

Arent they acting like human dogs. Chasing the animal till it tires. Market hunters used to hunt deer with dogs in this state. It is the only way to hunt in a area with a low population of deer.

Thanks,
Foster From Flint

Uncle Pig said:
tg said:

Arent they acting like human dogs. Chasing the animal till it tires. Market hunters used to hunt deer with dogs in this state. It is the only way to hunt in a area with a low population of deer.

Thanks,
Foster From Flint

There were enough deer in that neck of the woods that they didn't need to run around like a bunch of fools. I think that Michael Mann probably had no idea what deer hunting is about. Cooper surely didn't.

"Looks like a whitetail to me..."

I haven't dug it out and watched it for a while, but I am pretty sure they were chasing a Wapiti, I will freeze frame that part next time an see for sure.

blackhorse said:
While watching movies, such as Last of the Mohicans, the Patriot, the Mountainmen, do you pay attention to the "accuracy" of things. .... I watch these types of movies purely for the entertainment value.

Agreed. And LOTM is still a favorite, regardless. The other day I was watching "Saving Private Ryan" and I noticed one thing prior to the end battle scene when the "rabbit" guys on the motorcycle went to draw the Nazi's attention and they said something to the effect, "Let's rock and roll!" Rock and roll wasn't a musical form until the early 1950's so it was an out of context phrase in the 1940's. Still..the entertainment factor is the consideration.

TexiKan

Latest posts

Back