• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

lost stuff

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has anyone else ever noticed that the closer one gets to the end of the checklist of parts accumilated for a build the more dificult it is for one to remember where he hid all the stuff???

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Of course this confusion may be the reason I have enough left over parts to assemble a Lanhiburkfordkin style rifle about once a year.

This year it's a left hand version???? I Don't remember how that happened!

It all depends on what is "lost"!

I seem to lose my sack of premium wood screws about once a month, so I have to buy more.
After the shipment arrives, lo and behold, it was on the neatly laid out parts shelf all along!

I won't say jack, if you don't. :winking:

When I lose stuff that usually means its time to clean up the shop :cursing: :haha:

That's why I put all the parts in a coffee can. I would lose my fanny if wasn't tacked on.

What I REALLY hate is taking something apart and putting it back together and find I have parts left over. :confused:

Is all that kind of stuff really lost if you forgot that you bought it in the first place?

In my case I like to call it temporarily misplaced. :grin:

I used to do that... Now I buy the parts & put them in large plastic containers & mark what Rifle they are for on the front of the container. If I kept these in a big box all together I would never know what I needed for what, so I keep them separated & on the outside of the container marked of what it is. If I steal a part from one of them I put a piece of paper on the outside of the container of what is missing, so when I go to a parts vendor place or Friendship I just grab the lists & I can get that part & replace it.

Also if I want to build one for me or if it is for someone else, when I am ready to build it I know ALL of the parts are there & ready to start, especially when some things are scarce like certain barrels or locks at dif times.

:thumbsup:

Wow, a real Left-handed Lanhiburkfordkin. Pictures Please, and Documentation. Is it Flint or percussion, or a conversion. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Bill Happy Holidays to all

I've lost my mind, and have been lookin all over for it, and the wife has said I lost half of my wit and part of my Backside too. :rotf: :rotf: Bill

Mine is I'll put things 'somewhere' so I won't loose them ... right, I might as well through them out because I have to buy some of them all over again. Somewhere I bet I have enough of the incidental parts to build a few rifles. ......George F.

Now I wonder if the ratio of super organized (Birddog) to some form of unorganized (almost all of the rest of us) is 1 to 5, 1 to 10? 1 to 20? GC

I have two huge horizontal filing cabinets. They're five feet wide, six feet high, and have ten drawers apiece. Each drawer has the project owners name on the front. That way, I can keep all the parts and receipts together. Two of the drawers have dividers in them so I can store four pistol projects in each.

I also have an old heavy duty metal parts cabinet, that has 27 drawers that are 4x10x24, that I use to store the many differnt size round balls and respective molds in each.

I have four other cabinets that have their own special muzzleloading related use..........
Bird dog, glad to meetcha' Thought I was the only one that did that!

Now, if only I could make a cabinet that would catch all the tiny flying parts that I keep losing............. :hmm:

At any one time I've got parts for 30 different guns on hand. I keep them all in cardboard boxes with the fellas name written on the end so when it's his turn I can find his parts. barrels are all stacked in the corner with the appropriate name written on the bottom. I keep enough wood high end wood on hand that I usually just pick what looks good when it's time to start.
Now, where I get in trouble is when I drop a little screw, pin, or fly on the floor...I've crawled around on the floor for hours looking for things in the dust and chips. It's amazing how far a little part can go once it hits the floor!

Mike: What you need is a good strong magnet.
If you can't find one, go to Radio Shack and buy the lowest price 6 or 8 inch speaker they have. The magnet on one of those will pick up tiny screws from across the room!
OK, maybe not from across the room but it will sure suck little things like flys and such out of a pile of lint and dust. :)

Diggin' into the debris on my workbench usually turns up something !! I can't keep all the screws, springs, etc. in the proper drawers! I use animal-vegetable-mineral. Bayonets go with "Bobbed barrels". :rotf:

Back