• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Losing stuff, does this happen to you?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

54ball

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Fitting a breech plug this morning, taking a forced break.
My freaking file is gone. Poof be gone.

Thing is I did not go 3 feet from the vise, not 3 feet! That joker is gone.
I just spent 30 minutes looking for it. I could get another file but I want use that file.
I spend most my time looking for stuff.

It's not just tools. I figure I spend 10 minutes a day looking for where I last left my coffee cup. Wifey sezz it's more like 30 minutes a day! :rotf:

I once lost a pistol part and after considerable time crawling around and clearing the bench gave up. Drove home and sat down when it dropped out of a small cuff in my jeans. Now I keep a very neat bench and sweep often. When a something goes missing I look for a bit then bring in the wife. A brief explanation of the objective and she, in a moment or two hands me the “lost” item. Generally there’s an eye roll and a head shake tossed in as well. :bow:

I could not find my measuring tap, looking all over the house and garage could not find anywhere. Don't tell anyone,finally found it in my left hand. Don't tell anyone it is a secret. ""SHHHHHHH"

Yup. Happened to me. I was looking for the swivel attachment to my bench vise for the best part of the month of July. Could not find it anywhere...at all. Gone, gone, gone. Nuts! And now that I have a gun in the works, I could really use it.

So yesterday, I was looking for my stud finder. It's gone, too. It isn't a tool I use every day, so I must have put it away somewhere. But where? Maybe in one of the boxes below my work bench....

Oh....that's where the bench vise swivel went to. Still don't know what I did with the stud finder. :haha:

My coffee cups migrate like caribou. The front porch, the shop, the running board of the F1, the chicken pen.... Sometimes they stay gone for .... years. Occasionally I'll go on a coffe cup round up. Eventually they find there way back to the dish washer.

Oh ya....I lose stuff all the time....And I find stuff in the weirdest places. About once a week the wife will ask me if I have coffee cups or dishes in the shed. :haha:

Colorado Clyde said:
Oh ya....I lose stuff all the time....And I find stuff in the weirdest places. About once a week the wife will ask me if I have coffee cups or dishes in the shed. :haha:

'stuff' walks away on it's own. I can lay down a tool, move my hand and reach back for the tool....and it's gone. :shocked2:

You guys are making me feel better about myself. I always had things disappear on me but since I've retired it seems to have gotten worse! One minute something is in my hand and then... :idunno: Of course, retirement has changed my attitude to that of Alfred E Newman--"What, me worry?" :grin:

Thanks all,

Found it!
Breech is done.
After I swept the floor and cleaned off some of my bench....
There it was under the crescent wrench.... 6 inches from the vise. :doh: lets just say..... it blended in.

One day they're gonna find me crushed to death under a pile of 1/2 inch wrenches, socket extensions and Phillips and flathead screw drivers. One I'll find them, all of them.

Years ago I helped a friend get his dad's stuff ready for an auction. The dad had lots of stuff and piles in corners. He had been a part time mechanic along with custom harvesting. Anyway, it looked like if he dropped a pliers, screwdriver or socket he just went and got another. There were so many of them. :)

You guys have it easy. My wife and daughter "borrow" tools and leave them sitting exactly where they last used them. Doesn't matter if that means in the kitchen, out in the yard, in the goat shed or down in the woods on the other side of the hay field next to the stream. A few years ago, I was fixing some minor electrical problem on the tractor and needed a phillips screw driver. I opened the "screwdriver drawer" to the big rolling tool chest to find no screwdrivers. So I go looking around and notice a five gallon bucket is missing also. So I check other drawers, expecting to find that I had been robbed, but those sockets, rachets, air tools, impact wrench etc are all there. Wife knows nothing about it. Daughter sheepishly admits that she knows what happened to the screw drivers. Ok what happened? She says, well I couldn't afford a birthday present for you so I thought I would straighten out your tool box. I started with the screw drivers and took the all out of the tool box. I wiped each one clean of dirt and grease and even washed out the drawer. So where are the screwdrivers. Well James (her boy friend) came over and we were talking and I spread the screwdrivers out on the tailgate of his truck. I had them all sorted into sizes and numbers. The phillips separate from the star drivers and those separate from the slotted screwdrivers. So I ask, where are the screw drivers? Well it started to rain, so I put the screwdrivers back in the bucket and forgot the bucket in the back of James' truck when he left. So when is he bringing the bucket back, I ask. Well.. Dad...., he can't. Huh? says I. Better yet, we will go over there and get the bucket. We can't do that either. she says. The truck is locked in the garage. Well he can just open the garage, right? No, she says. Why not? She then lowers the boom. Well, his guard unit was called up for guard duty for 3 months in Estonia on NATO exercises. So the garage is locked up until he gets back. GRRR!!!!!!! But I got a coupon for you for free screwdrivers at Harbor Freight.

We could make all sorts of sexist ( :wink: ) jokes about women and tools. I caught my wife using a chisel on a paint bucket, she said she saw me doing it, I had yellow handled screw divers and chisels at the time.
How ever I will admit to oft using the wrong tool for the job I was doing.
Now the real kicker is, I can work on a project have the tools I need all in hands reach. Pick up tool A do what I need, lay it down grab tool B do the job go back to a and A is missing. After looking all over for it go and get a replacement, finish my work got the day pick up and still not find my original A. Then in the next few hour or days find A next to the coffee pot or in the bathroom or on a shelf in my man cave.
I think it all has to do with Einstein’ spooky physics, teleportation and Area 51.

Ghee....and here I was thinking I lost my mind. Wait......I put my mind on the bench right in front of me.....not 10 seconds ago!!!

I had a perfect reply to your post written down; but, now I cann't find it and I don't remember what it said.
p.s. My wife is of no help, she cann't find her looking for stuff glasses.

Back