• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lose cross pins?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzzippper

32 Cal
Reaction score
Sorry if cross pin is not the correct term. I'm talking about the rectangular pins that hold the barrel to the stock.

I got a used percussion rifle today from a forum member. It was shipped with the barrel off, no big deal. I put it together and when I turned it over one of the pins fell out from its own weight. I switched the pins and have the same problem. The problem seems to be the back hole. I don’t know if the hole is too big or the pin too small (I know, that's what she said).

How can I improve this?

You're referring to the "wedge pin(s)" that hold the barrel in the stock. It is fairly common for them to be a bit loose for a few different reasons.
For loose wedge pins the best method to tighten them up is to bend the tenons slightly. The tenons are what's on the bottom of the barrel that the wedge pin goes through.
A good method is to remove the barrel and have the tenons facing up. Put your wedge pin into the tenon and then use a brass punch (non-marring) and hammer to tap the center of the tenon until the wedge pin fits snugly and has some resistance to slide it in/out. Be sure to have the barrel sitting on something that won't scuff it while you're tapping on the tenons.

This is a simple fix.
If you're talking about rectangular wedges, then lay your barrel upside down on a flat surface. Take the wedge and see where it's loose. If it's a top and bottom issue then use a SMALL hammer lightly tap the bottom of the underlug or tenon. You'll have to do this a few times, assembling it until the wedge fits tight.

If it's a side to side issue you can place the wedge on a hard surface and strike it smartly, peening the metal until it fits snugly.

If you have pins instead of wedges you can use a metal punch and strike the lug, tightening the hole.

Good luck.

I slightly bent the pin for my TC Hawken and that helped a lot. Just clamp it in a shaft jaw vise then bend it slightly by hand. Wedge pins are cheap though, it may be worth it to keep a pair in your bag, especially if you’re hunting.

Back