• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Why would a ML rifle have a high POI?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ed its not you, the Crocket rifle comes with a too short front sight. Its a short coming of Traditions
Thank you for the reply. I know of at least two others that stated they had the same issue with too high of POI with the Crockett rifles. Yet some others seem to be okay.

Why are you messing with the rear sight?
Again, because that's what the manufacturer stated to do in the owners manual.
I had no idea how much it was going to take. By the time I went so far the damage was done. Didn't really matter anyway because I could not get a clear sight picture with the stock rear sight anyway.

"With that said, my question is, why would a ML have such a high POI to begin with? Other than perhaps the stock not cut out properly, what would cause this conundrum?"

If the bore is on center at the muzzle, the bore at the breech plug is off center and low. [possibly]

Causing the ball to rise more [shoot up hill] than if the bore was straight. [centered]
Thank you for answering the question. I appreciate it.

Again, because that's what the manufacturer stated to do in the owners manual.
I had no idea how much it was going to take. By the time I went so far the damage was done. Didn't really matter anyway because I could not get a clear sight picture with the stock rear sight anyway.
Sorry they led you down the wrong path...that's frustrating. It's too easy to sit on this side and judge others actions. They should have started you out with a taller front sight, but it "doesn't look as good".. hope you get it sorted out quickly

Thank you for the information.

You bet. I wasn't sure if you were familiar with that formula or not.
It's always a good idea to know how much adjustment might be needed. Especially if you want to maintain the same profile on a new sight you are filing down. No sense buying one a lot taller than you need.

"With that said, my question is, why would a ML have such a high POI to begin with? Other than perhaps the stock not cut out properly, what would cause this conundrum?"

If the bore is on center at the muzzle, the bore at the breech plug is off center and low. [possibly]

Causing the ball to rise more [shoot up hill] than if the bore was straight. [centered]
I can give a factual, historic answer. Back in the day, they were set up that way. Civil War arms are notorious for shooting high but what many fail to understand is we are taught differently today on aim (sight picture/alignment) than back then. Before molesting the sights any further, try shooting with the front post IN THE BOTTOM off the notch. This IS an historic method of aiming. Again, there is NO hard and fast rule on what the sight picture should look like, nor that a 6 o'clock hold is the only way

Stop crunching numbers to see how much material has to come off the front sight.

Start with a tall front sight and file it down at the range.

That's why God made files portable.
Exackly. I enjoy a day at the range with a set of nice, tall sights and a few files. I can have it hitting to desired POA before the suppository rifle ninjas figure out how to dial in their Tasco on their megazillion magnum elk slayer 2000.

With all the previous technical info, I'll go stupid and say crooked gun. Possibly barrel bent or as has been mentioned, bore out of alignment. IMO anytime you get a gun out of the box that exceeds the norms for that model, something is wrong.

The OP has yet to mention how many inches above point of aim his bullets/balls were impacting.

How high is Very High?

You bet. I wasn't sure if you were familiar with that formula or not.
It's always a good idea to know how much adjustment might be needed. Especially if you want to maintain the same profile on a new sight you are filing down. No sense buying one a lot taller than you need.
Thank you again. I was not familiar with that formula. However, what I did was spend a lot of time filing a little, reloading, going out back and shooting. Repeated that many times and took my time. After so far down I knew it was too late for that sight but I wanted to know just how much it was going to take to straighten this conundrum out. As I have said, I did finally get it down there, and I was able to hunt the last part of squirrel season with it despite the lower sight which didn't help with an already fuzzy sight picture.

By replacing the filed down sight with a new rear sight from a GPR of a different style I was able to confirm that the rifle simply needs either a peep or a new higher profile front sight. I did not feel the need to spend a lot of time looking for a new higher profile front sight for this rifle until I know if the peep is going to work. What little bit of research I did do I was not able to find one that will fit such a small diameter .32 barrel and none (so far) was specifically for the Crockett rifle.

The OP has yet to mention how many inches above point of aim his bullets/balls were impacting.

How high is Very High?
No one asked but it averaged 5.5 to 6 inches from 25 yards. A 6 O'clock hold got that down to about 5 inches. Its basically the same with the other new rear sight I installed.

With all the previous technical info, I'll go stupid and say crooked gun. Possibly barrel bent or as has been mentioned, bore out of alignment. IMO anytime you get a gun out of the box that exceeds the norms for that model, something is wrong.
I agree that something is wrong. I even call Traditions and spoke with their gun smith about this. His reply was "Don't really know".

This does not have an effect on windage and after I finally got the original sight filed down low enough it had no factor on elevation that I know of.

I came home with a new rifle an hour ago. I'm 7" low at 50yds.
A quick run through the formula said I need to lose about 1/16". I'll get it close before I do the back and forth thing. Which is only about 20 steps from my work bench to the back porch window :)

What I really wanted to do was throw a new sight on it. I have accumulated various height brass bead sights over the years.
And then I found out the front sight is attached to the barrel band and not dovetailed in :rolleyes:

But, such is the fun of dialing in a new gun.

No one asked but it averaged 5.5 to 6 inches from 25 yards. A 6 O'clock hold got that down to about 5 inches. Its basically the same with the other new rear sight I installed.
Five inches is not a lot. Five inches could be an incorrect sight picture or a flinch you're not aware of.

A taller front sight and some file work at the range and you're golden.

Make certain you've developed the best possible load/grouping for your rifle. And, FOR NOW, forget about where the bullets impact. Shoot for group. Shoot only for group. Shoot the smallest group you can. Don't worry about where the bullets are hitting. The GROUP can hit 12 high or 6 low or 4 left or 3 right. Just aim at the same spot every single time. DO NOT ADJUST YOUR SIGHTS in between shots. Once you've established your load and a tight group, THEN, adjust your sights for final point of impact.

Last edited:
Five inches is not a lot. Five inches could be an incorrect sight picture or a flinch you're not aware of.

A taller front sight and some file work at the range and you're golden.
Not an incorrect sight picture as I have now put a fair amount of shots through this rifle and all the groups appear to be close to the same, other than a few fliers every now and then.

5 to 6 inches at 25 yards seems like a huge amount to me.

Received tracking information. My peep is on the way. That would be by far the best solution, especially considering my less than good eyesight. If not, then its a taller front sight IF I can find one that will fit.

This is where adjustable rear sights are worth a lot. But then again, that wouldn't be period specific.

I came home with a new rifle an hour ago. I'm 7" low at 50yds.
A quick run through the formula said I need to lose about 1/16". I'll get it close before I do the back and forth thing. Which is only about 20 steps from my work bench to the back porch window :)

What I really wanted to do was throw a new sight on it. I have accumulated various height brass bead sights over the years.
And then I found out the front sight is attached to the barrel band and not dovetailed in :rolleyes:

But, such is the fun of dialing in a new gun.
Hopefully the formula will pay off for you. At a minimum it could save on powder and lead.

Not an incorrect sight picture as I have now put a fair amount of shots through this rifle and all the groups appear to be close to the same, other than a few fliers every now and then.

5 to 6 inches at 25 yards seems like a huge amount to me.

Received tracking information. My peep is on the way. That would be by far the best solution, especially considering my less than good eyesight. If not, then its a taller front sight IF I can find one that will fit.

This is where adjustable rear sights are worth a lot. But then again, that wouldn't be period specific.
There comes a time when Period Correct should be thrown out the window.

The end goal is to enjoy shooting.

ETipp did you check for a bent barrel as stated above?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back