• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looks like i got burned

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pyrodex and Triple 7 has been available around here too some extent pretty much all along. Real black powder was what disappeared completely. Could pick up some black powder at an occaisional gunshow but that was it.
Powder valley still has it and they're good about business.

I have ordered two times from them and the recent past and had no problems

Buy a dual sport dirt bike instead, like I did. It only cost me a little over 7,000 out the door and I can ride it every day of the year here in Florida.

But I guess if you throw in that $3,000 for those two screws I now have in my ankle....lol.

It was my own fault but let's just say a dirt bike can hurt you. But I still had fun that day.
Another Darwin Award coming up. Semper Fi.

This is like the 4th or fith time ive read " i have no problem getting caps".
With all due respect, how does that help us newbies?
Yes, some of us just heard about BP and cap and ball pistols.
We dont all start from the same place.
Just bought over 3000 CCI #11s from my local store over the last few weeks. Fellow BP shooters from my range have done similar buy over the last few months. Buying more right now. Lot's of sources out there, just not online...local brick and morter store...c

On a rare positive (?) note many items we routinely buy at the super market seem to have come down a bit in price Ammo for unmentionable's has too. Many hope for BP stuff?
Agree but coming down a bit is a far cry from what it cost just three years ago. If a pound of Folgers was $6.00 in March of 2020 and was $11.95 in march of this year but is now $10.95 and on sale at $9.95 (today) it is down a bit but still 50% over what it was three years ago. Ammunition for the common calibers has come down a bit. 9mm that was $9.95 a box in March of 2020 went up to $20 a box or higher. Saw it on sale for $14.95 a couple of days ago. So on sale it is still 30% higher than 2020 and that is on sale. I seriously doubt we will ever see prices like they were just a short three years ago. I honestly feel that or should say have no doubts that the retailers could sell it a lot cheaper but are keeping the prices high just because they can and people are willing to pay it so they will keep doing it.

Last edited:
This is like the 4th or fith time ive read " i have no problem getting caps".
With all due respect, how does that help us newbies?
Yes, some of us just heard about BP and cap and ball pistols.
We dont all start from the same place.
Have posted this on multiple threads Muzzle-Loaders.com has CCI #11s in stock, have bought from them multiple times and they are very reputable. Caps are a little pricey but as of 10:30 pm on 7/18 they still have them in stock

I ordered a cap maker by ***edited*** and i ordered 750 RWS caps from another place that never got sent.
I am getting a bitter taste dealing eith all of this bull****.
No wonder this here genre is dying.
Just ordered another 500 CCI #11 caps from Muzzle-Loaders.com they appear to have plenty on hand would have ordered more but 110 dollars for 500 was a little pricey but add them to my stock

I was buying gold for around $1300 per oz a couple years back - buying a few ounces here and there when I could afford them. Now it's almost two grand an ounce! It seems like everything is up about fifty percent. I'm not sure we're ever going back to where we were just three or four years ago...

I ordered a cap maker by ***edited*** and i ordered 750 RWS caps from another place that never got sent.
I am getting a bitter taste dealing eith all of this bull****.
No wonder this here genre is dying.
I don’t think there’s a problem selling caps to one another? But if there is then forget this. I have 6 cans of RWS no 11s. I’d be happy to sell you a few as i don’t shoot my colts or Remington at all anymore. When I do shoot I shoot my flintlocks which as of late I don’t shoot as much as I would like to. I just try to maintain some proficiency with my plastic unmentionable. There too not enough range time. Send me a PM and I’ll sell you a tin or so. You can pay me after you receive them after all your a member by default I trust you will pay me. What ever it was I paid recently through Gaffs great family business. When you buy powder or caps only purchase from a reputable suppliers. There are so many today id bet most are scammers. Stick with Gaffs, Buffalo Arms, powder valley, midway I think even totw sells powder Dixie and other popular dealers. Problem is you will have to wait until august as i don’t keep caps and stuff here in ny. I’m going to the free state at the end of the month. The capper you purchased works i actually bought a small roll of copper the thickness of a soda can which I think is a better option than the aluminum which I think is too hard but they do work. McMasters and a search on the internet will find you the copper I prefer if you choose to go that route. If I can mail them you are welcome to them.

Is it about the cost of fishing?.....
or Hunting or Camping or putting food on your table or taking a vacation. You name it. It COSTS more $$$ than it used to.
That big 4 pointer that you traveled MILES to hunt comes out to maybe $50.00 + a pound?? Better be worth it AND, it better be good.

It has been said before, but it bears repeating:

There are a ton of fake web sites out there now that claim to sell black powder shooting supplies.

If they claim to have Goex powder in stock, it's probably a scam. They have not yet resumed production.

If they have no limit on the number of items you can buy, it might be a scam.

If they don't accept credit cards, it's probably a scam.

If they only accept Zelle, Venmo, or PayPal "Friends and Family", or any other "no recourse" method of payment, it's probably a scam.

If they're on the internet, it's probably a scam! :)

Modern ammunition for most of the common calibers is reasonably plentiful right now but the prices are still high for most. Cheapest 9mm I have seen is $14.95 a box which is $5 over what you could get it for just three years ago around here. .45 ACP is $30 a box and was $19 a box three years ago. Many other pistol and rifle rounds are $1.50 to $3.50 a round. What with the war in Ukrain and our military and Nato stock piles low, the emphasis is going to be meeting government contracts for ammunition. Brass, primers, caps, powder, bullets, lead, and such will probably be low priority for civilian consumption by manufacturers for quite some time. This could go on for years as things stand now. Add in the gun and ammunition laws being passed in some states. Plan for it.
My question would be whose ammo was it? What type? I've recently stopped using round nose ball ammo simply because it's not what I'd hopefully have loaded in time of emergency. And the $10 per box ammo shoots differently from the $150 per box of 50.

Just did an internet search for 9mm and the price per box of 50 starts at $10/box and goes to $165/box. For me I'll go with my carry round and order that. In the end I'll have a stock of what I want for carry and I'll be well practiced with it. Makes keeping track of my ammo supply a bit easier too.

Anything you buy on the internet....if you don't know the vendor, check reviews, research them. Literally a dozen or more thieves scamming caps and powder.
Thank Biden for torpedoing the economy with his green new deal war on fossil fuels energy.
Who has the strongest economy right now?

1. United States. 2021 Nominal GDP in Current U.S. Dollars: $23.00 trillion4. ...
  2. China. 2021 Nominal GDP in Current U.S. Dollars: $17.73 trillion9. ...
  3. Japan. 2021 Nominal GDP in Current U.S. Dollars: $4.94 trillion16. ...
  4. Germany. 2021 Nominal GDP in Current U.S. Dollars: $4.22 trillion22. ...

If its not the price or fear of being scammed - its that the shipping and taxes that are now prohibitive. Every thing i consider buying now goes through a cost/benefit analysis. Then there's the "I ain't paying that" mindset that many rightfully have even though they can easily afford to. Many small vendors are reporting low to zero sales which again affects what they buy. Wonder where this will lead.

Who has the strongest economy right now?

1. United States. 2021 Nominal GDP in Current U.S. Dollars: $23.00 trillion4. ...
  2. China. 2021 Nominal GDP in Current U.S. Dollars: $17.73 trillion9. ...
  3. Japan. 2021 Nominal GDP in Current U.S. Dollars: $4.94 trillion16. ...
  4. Germany. 2021 Nominal GDP in Current U.S. Dollars: $4.22 trillion22. ...
Missing an important number, the populations generating the above numbers. How much of each GDP can be attributed an individual?

China has a GDP a bit more than 2/3 of ours. But they do it with several times the number of workers than we have. We're all things equal China would have a GDP several times larger than ours. That is a serious threat.

The good old days are gone, you want to participate you pay up. The bad part is even if things would go back to supply and demand the prices won't come down, perhaps a few cents here and there, but do we really think a seller who is moving items at today's prices will cut back prices in the future. Reason of thinking they paid this then so they will pay this now. Business owners are in the game to make money. I shoot a lot both BP and un-mentionable, seen this coming during the last election debates and stocked up, sitting right good for all my shooting needs and continue to add to the stock.

Back