• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking to build a Minnie rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ayetter2003

36 Cal.
Reaction score
In .45 or .50 what rifling twist and depth will work and a source for 1" across flats barrels thanks for help

I suggest you confir with bobby hoyt. Bob Hoyt
700 Fairfield Station Rd
Fairfield, PA 17320
717 642 6696
he is a master barrel smith

I agree. Talk to a barrel maker who has a lot of experience.

Also, because you mentioned .45 and .50 caliber combined with Minie' ball, be sure to check if bullets of that style exist.

I say that because in my mind's eye I picture a Minie' ball as the big hollow based bullets that were made for the rifled muskets, usually in .577 or .58 caliber.

I can't say I've seen any .45 or .50 caliber slugs that I would consider to be "Minie' Balls".

Anyway, the rifling depth is the thing that changes if one is making a barrel for round balls (usually .005-.015 deep rifling), lead slugs (usually .003-.006 deep rifling), Minie balls (often around .003-.004 deep rifling) and those plastic things we don't talk about (depth about .002-.003). (Depths are rough guesses on my part).

Don't know if this helps but I shoot a rifle with a custom 58 cal. minie barrel. It is 1 in 38 twist, 4 thousandth deep rifling with 8 lands and grooves. It shoots very well.

SC45-70

Thanks I will talk to Hoyt, Lee makes moulds I have some some from Lyman and one branded TC, I shoot minies in my current roundball guns with success I just want to build one that is dedicated for minies

Back in the late 70's (78-79) my buddy had a Minie ball mold for .40 caliber Minies. It produced a Minie with a hollow base and had a more rounded nose that the .575 Lyman Minie. I cast a bunch from his mold and ask him if he would want to sell it as I liked the bullet. Alas he did not want to sell the mold and I don't know where he got it from. I still have some of those Minies - I will dig them up and take a picture of them if I can find them. :wink:

There's compatible barrels.

However, if you want to use a dedicated barrel. It would be best to pick what minie you'd like to shoot. Being there's a big weight difference amount the same caliber sizes.

Back