• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

looking for input on a .40 caliber for squirrel hunting.......

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Since I cannot seem to find what I'm looking for, I'm considering a .40 caliber for squirrel hunting. I'm looking for a ML that will not tear squirrels up too much if its downloaded a bit. It also needs to be accurate, as in squirrel hunting accurate, out to 30 yards, maybe more. Requesting the above information from folks that have actually killed squirrels with a .40 caliber.

Thank you

I run 25 grains 3f in my 40 cal for squirrels it actually does less damage than my 32 with 20 grains 3f. Most likely due to slower ball. Either one a body hit does a decent amount of damage. Head shots it don't matter. Literally 25 yards is no issue with either gun. Head shots are always the goal but sometimes they move of shots off a bit. Usually the back half is always good. The 40 cal does give ya a slight make up for off shots due to bigger ball. a lot of times I get grazing head shots that equal squirrel dinner.
The ONLY reason I switched to the 32 for squirrels is less issues with game wardens and fellow hunters carrying the 32. Literally as soon as someone see's me on public land with ML the game wardens are called and I'm accused of poaching deer. The game wardens know me well and know I play by the rules, in fact they text me and ask if I am hunting squirrels at the time and location, if I say yes they say thanks you saved me a trip. Private land its usually the 40 cal as its lighter.

I use a .357mag casing full of 3f powder and a .390 ball for squirrels. It does a great job.

Attachments

• 20230520_083313.jpg
    20230520_083313.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
I’ve taken squirrels (and other small game) with a variety of muzzleloader calibers, from 32 to 62 cal, including 40 caliber. They all seem to work, as the squirrels I hunted were never that difficult to kill or all that dangerous. Any gun that you can consistently hit a target the size of a golf ball will do. We hunted with the larger calibers primarily to practice with them. If one can hit a squirrel (or other small game) in the head……

For a dedicated squirrel gun, I would consider a 40 cal too large, but that’s personal preference. I hunt often enough in relatively populated areas, and have to consider how far a roundball out of a 40 caliber will travel compared to a 32 caliber (which is about half the weight of a 40 roundball) if shooting at squirrels off the ground. There are also local regulations to consider when hunting small game/squirrels that may limit your caliber choice, depending on where you hunt.

Back