• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for Info on a 1740 British Military Fusil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a kit by the Rifle. Shoppe a 1740 fusil. Its pretty much a scaled down 1740 pattern musket with a 42 inch barrel in .66. The lock is full sized only. Slightly smaller than the period 1740 long. Land lock.

I’m looking for any. Historical info on stain color, and finishes and markings if possible.

Thanks

The Brown Bess; An Identification Guide and Illustrated Study of Britain's Most Famous Musket

Dewitt Baileys
Small Arms of the British Forces 1664-1815

Pattern Dates for British Ordnance Small Arms

All have some great photos and some color photos to allow you to see the actual wood colors. The bess book has typical markings. Is this an ordnance model or a private purchase?

Hi Nick,
I really don't know what that fusil is supposed to be. There are no British patterns for it of which I am aware. The Lord Loudon carbine might be the closest but that is not it. Bailey has no match for it in any of his books. I don't know what TRS copied. Regardless, why do you think it would be finished in any way different from a musket?

dave

Hi Nick,
I really don't know what that fusil is supposed to be. There are no British patterns for it of which I am aware. The Lord Loudon carbine might be the closest but that is not it. Bailey has no match for it in any of his books. I don't know what TRS copied. Regardless, why do you think it would be finished in any way different from a musket?

dave

HI Dave.

Regarding the finishing I wasn’t sure it was the same as the land pattern muskets, in that light infantry arms didn’t follow the specific ordinance requirements.

I got in touch with the rifle shoppe, what they said they have copied is what they believed to be a fusil issued during the french and Indian war to light infantry and irregular units. They’ve had a few show up in their shop, they copied one, its basically a miniature pattern 1740 musket, weighing around 8 lbs in 66 caliber, with the only difference being a cast brass nose cap.
I asked about the Louden pattern fusil, he said he thinks this is that pattern fusil, because it has the banana shaped early dated 1740 lock.

The markings are the same as the land pattern, with personalized engravings.

For the stock color he said it would have been unstained English walnut, just oiled. The stock is american black walnut so, I think I’ll be staining it and varnishing it. I have my doubts about the stock being just oiled.

I have a kit by the Rifle. Shoppe a 1740 fusil. Its pretty much a scaled down 1740 pattern musket with a 42 inch barrel in .66. The lock is full sized only. Slightly smaller than the period 1740 long. Land lock.

I’m looking for any. Historical info on stain color, and finishes and markings if possible.

Thanks

Is this what you mean?

The Rifle Shoppe, Inc. - British 1740's Light Fusil (578)

Sometimes Light Infantry Carbines were also referred to as fusils, but I also can't find any reference to it.

The closest thing I could find was Officer's Fusils.

Original British 18th Century William Ketland & Company Officer Fusil Flintlock Musket – International Military Antiques (ima-usa.com)

Gus

Hi Nick,
It is not the Loudon carbine because the trigger guard and butt plate are wrong. I don't know what it is but the documentation for carbines during the F&I war is a mess and there appear to have been a variety of them without any clear paper trails and origins. As to finish, Amherst ordered that firearms used by light troops and rangers to be browned or blued to avoid any glitter when the units are skulking in forests. It is not clear if those orders were carried out.

dave

Yeap thats the kit gus. Ill benposting some pictures soon of the kit its a nice one

As I searched, I did notice one or two reenactment units that have authorized that carbine for their members. Maybe they have some documentation we don't know about or maybe not.

Looking forward to seeing the pics of the kit.

Gus

Hi Nick,
It is not the Loudon carbine because the trigger guard and butt plate are wrong. I don't know what it is but the documentation for carbines during the F&I war is a mess and there appear to have been a variety of them without any clear paper trails and origins. As to finish, Amherst ordered that firearms used by light troops and rangers to be browned or blued to avoid any glitter when the units are skulking in forests. It is not clear if those orders were carried out.

dave

That’s interesting Dave, i didn’t know they had bluing techniques in the 18th century, other than heat bluing that is. I use liver of sulfur to blacken steel, it doesn’t always turn out very nice though, its hit or miss, and definitely doesn’t work well on 4140 steel.

As I searched, I did notice one or two reenactment units that have authorized that carbine for their members. Maybe they have some documentation we don't know about or maybe not.

Looking forward to seeing the pics of the kit.

Gus

It came in pretty quick.

I have a few kits on back order with the rifle shoppe, 1744 dragoon short land and a 1728 long land. They said another 12 months on them, founderies are having difficulty casting brass because of the new EPA regulations. They offered to piecemeal the kits to me, but I asked them not to. they did that to me a year and half ago for an 1817 common rifle, and I’m still waiting on the barrel.

Back