• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

long hammock barrels?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonegun1894

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I cant come up with any relevant results when doing a search for "long hammock barrels"? What can you all tell me, mainly, how do they measure up to a GM? Thanks.

I know a guy in Vermont who will not use anything else. Now mind you, he's a gun builder and shooter. He won the Aggreate at the N'Eastern with a 62 cal longhammock rifle barrel. I believe that Jim Chamber's wife sells them. I don't think Mr. Chambers would sell anything that was not quality. Just my 2 cents worth

Barbie is Jim's daughter, and yes, she does sell them but I don't know what she stocks.
http://www.buckeyebarrels.com/home.htm

Her web site inventory is not up to date. I recently bought an Ed Rayle barrel she had in stock I couldn't find anywhere else. Give her a call and ask.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm not the builder from vermont who won, but i'm in vermont and i do build, and i use Long Hammock whenever i can

fwiw...

make good smoke!

I have two long hammock smoothbore barrels, I am VERY happy with them. I have friends who swear by their rifle barrels.
Can't go wrong using these barrels!

:thumbsup:

I have a .36cal tennessee rifle that I built last month with a 42" long hammock barrel and it is very accurate and easy to clean, no complaints at all.

Teo more questions on them. Would they be marked, or do they leave markings off? and also, it seems like most love em. But one said he's not fond of them. May I ask why? Have a chance to buy one in .32 rifled and the man says it is a Long Hammock. It is not marked though. Appears to have good deep rifling and a patch goes down smooth, but never dealt with them before. Just trying to figure out what do do. Go with this one, or hold out for a GM.

But one said he's not fond of them. May I ask why?
Yes you may.
I have handled more than a few Long Hams. The worst tooling marks in rifled bores I have ever seen have been in LH barrels. One was probably unshootable. It's often difficult to tell on the oct/round smooth bore barrels which has more waves in it, the inside or the out side.. They don't hold tolerances on their outside dimensions, they rarely ever fit in pre carved stock they are supposed to fit into.
I'd never use one on a gun I was building for myself. I guess I got spoiled by Getz quality for all those years.

Thank you, Mike. I guess I'll be opting for the GM then. Have a couple and have shot numerous others and havent seen a bad one yet--at least not one that was taken care of.

Latest posts

Back