• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Indian Spanish Musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today I started working on the Indian Spanish Musket that I got from my friend. I tried to get it to spark last week trying many of the flints that I got from. IMA years ago. Though it looked heat treated…..no spark. I ordered some true spark from Track of the Woods and it came in today. My set of torches were out of gas, so I had to use MAPP gas. The frizzen had lots of horizontal grooves, so I had to polish them off. I went through the process using the included instructions. After every thing was completed and cooled down I tried a few flints. It sparks! Some flints spark better than others. Next was drilling the touch hole, but the fact that the space under the frizzen was really shallow and narrow. I took the lock apart and used a 1/2” ball end mill to enlarge the tray. I marked and drilled the touch hole. Great day in the shop.
In the old pictures you see the Spanish resting their muskets on a support. This musket is a little (really more than a little) front heavy.

IMG_3281.jpeg
IMG_3279.jpeg

Ohhh. Hmm i dont know.

I had one just like it off gunbroker a couple years ago but after i cleaned it up i sold it without shooting. It had smooth frizzen and sparked good. It had real brass on it too, which is more than i can say for the Pedersoli spanish one i owned for a day or two.

The instructions for the “Tru Spark” said to polish out any imperfections on the face of the frizzen. There is a lot of brass on this gun. The Indian guns are not “plug and play” for sure!

Latest posts

Back