• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

loading with shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The good old Colonel Hawker had corns, and swore by mercury ointment on plasters for them.

He also mentions shooting when, "As nervous as a cat, and nearly fainting...." Wonder if there was a connection?

Brit,
Yes, it was mercury they used in hat dressing. Kept moths out I think!

:eek:ff To get even further off the beaten track, back in the early '50's mercury was also used in a medical salve that was used to kill ring-worm.

I know because I had patches of ring-worm on my head.
The doctor had my head shaved and pasted some of that stuff on.

I don't know what all was in it but it burned like fire and my mom was given a large jar of it and told to repeat the application twice a day. :(

It was a long time before all of that stuff was used up but, it did get rid of the ring-worm.

RJDH said:
Yes, it was mercury they used in hat dressing. Kept moths out I think!
Mercury wasn't used to prevent moths, but as part of the process of 'felting' the furs, especially of lesser quality furs or furs of some species other than beaver.

Spence

Wow.....and to think this thread started with my question about loading my fusil with shot.... :rotf: :haha:

Black Hand said:
Powder, Tow, Shot, Tow...
I agree, use your stadard powder charge,I use 60 in my 20 gauge, awad of tow about a fat as yor thunb and about half as long,a measure and a half of shot, then enough tow to hold it in. Wasp nest works good , leaves that are dry but not crumbly.light powder,more lead, shoot far ,kill dead!

Latest posts

Back