• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Load only five of six chambers?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know why to argue over the "sixth" shot
Who's arguing? As far as I'm concerned, this is just a conversation.
I like the scene in "The Shootist" when Gillom asked Books, "why only load five shots"? Books answered, "it's for safety, load six shots if your insides tells you to".
Again, this was started with the 1873 .45, as there were no safety notches/pins th place the hammer on.

CAS competition is all about safety. We use full load live ammo/loads. We have draw and fire two revolvers. We run to different stations and shoot. We also use a rifle and shotgun. It's fast paced, because it's a speed and accuracy event. All the shooters are very experienced. A mistake can kill someone. It's kind of like real life, because you can make a mistake under pressure.

You load 6 rounds in your revolver, and you'll be kicked out for life. Why? Because it's NOT safe
CAS is also a "game". "Games" have rules.

Stuff happens

It certainly does.
I agree, but this goes with anything. A few years ago, a little girl fell on a pencil and stabbed herself in the heart. Thankfully, she lived. People hurt them selves with all sorts of things.

I agree, if I need more than five shots, I need a SIG
When not on the farm I carry a Glock or Baretta myself. As for the sixth round, like they say, "better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it".

This is going to go on forever, until it wears itself out! Then another newbie will type in the same thing again, then we repeat :idunno: .

I've been on Facebook too much...I keep trying to "like" your comments, mjn! :grin:

mjn said:
CAS competition is all about safety. We use full load live ammo/loads. We have draw and fire two revolvers. We run to different stations and shoot. We also use a rifle and shotgun. It's fast paced, because it's a speed and accuracy event. All the shooters are very experienced. A mistake can kill someone. It's kind of like real life, because you can make a mistake under pressure.

You load 6 rounds in your revolver, and you'll be kicked out for life. Why? Because it's NOT safe
CAS is also a "game". "Games" have rules.

Life has rules too.

If you need more than 5 shots. Maybe you should spend more on the range, and less time telling us how safe 6 shots are.

I'm not hating on the newbies. Yes you have to learn. Problem is the computer itself. No one knows if you're a Shootist like me with 40+ years experience in all types of firearms, or merely a :bull: artist who hasn't ever fired a shot.

No offense meant, it just would be nice once in a while if everybody would let the mask hit the ground at this little party....maybe folks could slip-in how much they know about things like the thread with the eye protection.......just sayin'

Dave

"I have a Colt (reproduction) 1851 Navy revolver. I've read that only five of the six chambers should be loaded, and the hammer lowered on the empty chamber - for safety. Is this correct, and why?

Wouldn't it be just as safe to load all the chambers, and keep it at half-cock until ready to fire? I'm talking about loading the gun on the range - ready to shoot the entire cylinder.
Doug"

Do you follow safety rules at work?

Life has rules too.

If you need more than 5 shots. Maybe you should spend more on the range, and less time telling us how safe 6 shots are.
That was a prickish comment. I think defferently than you about a sixth round, and you suggest it's because I can't shoot? Why the personal insult? Maybe you should spen less time acting like you're afraid of other people's opinions, and more time acting your age. This has been a friendly discussion so far, don't turn it into something unpleasant.

I think most agree it's unsafe, and you defending it time after time was getting old.

You never explained why you need 6 shots? Isn't 5 enough?

Anyway, we've made our points. I'm done.

My suggestion still stands, load up just caps, then give it a whirl, put it threw the torture test. If a cap goes off you will understand why people carry just 5.

Richard Eames said:
"I have a Colt (reproduction) 1851 Navy revolver. I've read that only five of the six chambers should be loaded, and the hammer lowered on the empty chamber - for safety. Is this correct, and why?

Wouldn't it be just as safe to load all the chambers, and keep it at half-cock until ready to fire? I'm talking about loading the gun on the range - ready to shoot the entire cylinder.
Doug"

Do you follow safety rules at work?

You can't really carry one around on half cock. That allows the cylinder to spin freely, plus, the hammer is sticking way out.

And, again, to address those who still think we're talking about carrying the gun with the hammer on a live cap.... NO ONE is suggesting that anyone do that.

:wink:

Back