• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Load only five of six chambers?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcriner

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Colt (reproduction) 1851 Navy revolver. I've read that only five of the six chambers should be loaded, and the hammer lowered on the empty chamber - for safety. Is this correct, and why?

Wouldn't it be just as safe to load all the chambers, and keep it at half-cock until ready to fire? I'm talking about loading the gun on the range - ready to shoot the entire cylinder.
Doug

It can accidentally fire if the hammer is resting over a capped cylinder and you drop the gun (landing it on the hammer) or bump into something (hammer goes back a little, then falls forward).

Maybe back in the day people loaded all six chambers because they didn't care. The smart people probably only loaded five. Colt intended the pegs between each chamber to be used to allow for safer carry with all six chambers loaded. However, the hammer doesn't have to go back far for the cylinder to go free, so it's still unsafe.

When you're at the range, it's perfectly acceptable to load all six and fire. On the range, I load all six, put the hammer on half cock (rather than resting it on a live cap), and cock when I have the gun on target.

I carry and shoot an 1858 Remington and I always load all six chambers, even if I use my R&D conversion cylinder, all six are loaded. I just put the hammer in a safety notch and don't worry about. I've never had any problems.

Pustic

FWIW, I've been shooting C&B revolvers for fifteen years. I carry them in the woods, on horseback, I use them as my "farm guns". Basicaly, I do not just shoot paper with them. I always load six in a C&B revolver and use the space between the caps for the hammer, as was intended. If you have a good holeter that covers the hammer it won't get snagged on anything. They are as safe as you are. Gun safety starts with common sense.

I have always carried 6 and I have been using C&B since the 1970's. 40 years!! If you carry in a military style dlapped holster you will have no problems with the hammer snagging on anything while you walk, ride, or run. If you carry in a open holster a tight hammer thong is the way to go. I do both. Experiment with your gun. If you carry an empty chamber your not thinking it through. What you ned to carry it on is a loaded chamber and the next one is the empty. If the hammer is pulled back accidently the cylinder advances and comes down on the next chamber, not the one under the hammer. use some common sense, thats why I always come out for the load six shoot six.

I never carry any gun with hammer down on a live cap, a bump or blow to the hammer will fire it. I came within inches of dying when my dad's percussion 12 gauge dropped just a few inches and one hammer fell across the barrel of my own gun.
Elmer Keith claimed he knew of several instances where men saddling horses were shot when jerking the cinch tight caused a stirrup to drop from atop the saddle and struck the hammer of their Colt.
I've gone around on this with a friend. He feels he is safer with the hammer full down on the cap than carrying the gun at half-cock. He feels that bumping the hammer just right to make it fire is very unlikely. I think unlikely things happen every day.

Putting the hammer down on a live cap is kinda asking for an accident. The point is to put the hammer down in the spaces between the nipples where they are supposed to go. Use a holster that reaches above the hammer (or a flap holster) and there are no problems. As I said before, these guns (just like modern revolvers and semi-autos) are as safe as the user.

dcriner said:
I have a Colt (reproduction) 1851 Navy revolver. I've read that only five of the six chambers should be loaded, and the hammer lowered on the empty chamber - for safety. Is this correct, and why?

Wouldn't it be just as safe to load all the chambers, and keep it at half-cock until ready to fire? I'm talking about loading the gun on the range - ready to shoot the entire cylinder.
Doug

I'd say that on the range where one is constantly firing the pistol. it's OK to load all the chambers.

If carrying the pistol around, in a holster, it is NOT safe. Leave a chamber empty!

dcriner said:

Doug

Load only 5 if the revolver is to be carried. There is no other safe option.
If shooting immediately as on a range 6 is OK
Loading 6 then only capping 5 is a recipe for a chain fire.
The 1/2 cock is not a safety its just to allow loading the revolver. If all are loaded its simply not safe.
Loading 5 was the standard for all revolvers until the "modern" hammer block/transfer block revolver actions came into being.

Dan

What Dan said- load five, leave the hammer on the empty cylinder. If you need more than five shots to solve your problem, you've gotten in way over your head, unless you're carrying more than one gun.

One guy's free opinion, and no doubt worth every penny.

Does anyone know of any incident where someone was carrying a percussion pistol in the holster and had the hammer resting on the pin (or Remington safety notch) and had the hammer back off the pin, the cylinder rotate sufficiently to align the cap, and the hammer knocked back and dropped, setting off the cap?

Stophel said:
Does anyone know of any incident where someone was carrying a percussion pistol in the holster and had the hammer resting on the pin (or Remington safety notch) and had the hammer back off the pin, the cylinder rotate sufficiently to align the cap, and the hammer knocked back and dropped, setting off the cap?

Unfortunately, this is NOT an old "wives tale". Where I can't cite references, it has definitely happened. This also pertains to modern weapons with so-called "modern" safeties.

Stophel said:

Sorry, but they're dead now.

I only carry with 5 loaded for a very good reason. Several years ago I was walking my property with a NMA, 6 beans in the wheel. Pack of stray/feral dogs came out of the woods to my front. As I drew my Remmy, natural reflex was to start drawing the hammer back, keeping my finger off of the trigger. Thumb slipped and there was a smoking hole about 5 feet in front of me. It could have just as easily been my leg.

Sounds like carelessness to me. I mean, accidents happen, sure (I shot a hole through the roof of my porch about eight years ago, my own carelessness :redface: ) but there's always a reason. I don't mean to anger anyone, everyone has their own way of doing things, but Sam Colt didn't design the cylinder with six chambers just so a fellow could leave one empty. If a fellow follows the proper safety steps,(proper type of holster, safety notches/pins) he'll be fine. Like I said, everyone has their own way. That's what makes the world go round.

Sam Colt sold more guns to the civilian market than the military. More 1849 pocket revolvers (little five shot .31) were made than any other percussion Colt. 1851 navy was a close second.

Back