• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Load for TC Hawken 45 cal?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RBK

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Right place, right time. Someone had just traded in, a pristine Thompson Center Hawken 45 cal. percussion. It was mine for, get this, $130 out the door! I was told it had not been fired and, upon inspection and pulling a patch, you would have a hard time convincing me that it had been fired. Anyway, I figured if I don't like it for some reason, I can possibly profit by it.
So, who has experience with this one and, what size ball, patch and load would you recommend?
Many thanks.

TC have a big list of manuals you can download.
TCmanuals
I have the manual for 50 calibre Hawken but that doesn't help. Their accessories listing only shows 50 caliber round ball and slugs, so even that is no help finding the ball size.
No worries if you don't find the right manual. That just means you have more fun shooting to find the right load.

well each rifle is a little different, but I would start with a .440 ball, about .015 patch and 45 gr. of 3F powder. Should shoot ok, and you can go from there. Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

See ya, Jim/OH :hatsoff:

My TC .45 is the most versatile and forgiving ml I own. It shoots just fine with .440 or .445 balls and an appropriate patch. "Appropriate" meaning tough and loadable but not in the least loose. At a recent match I ran out of .440 and .445 balls and shot the last target with .433 balls and a thick patch. Went right where the others went! :thumbsup:

Charges in mine are 35 to 60 of goex 3f. Don't know how it might shoot over 60 because I don't have any need to go higher. It's just a target and varmint gun for me.

Just play around and give it a chance to show you it's stuff. If you don't like it, I'll bid $135 plus shipping! :haha:

45CAL TC HAWKEN-440RB-50GRNS 2F TO 110GRNS MAX
CONICALS-200GRN-80 TO 110GRNS 2F , 250GRN CONICAL
AND UP -70 GRNS OF 2F TO A MAX OF 100GRNS OF 2F
HOPE THIS HELPS.WALT

Mine likes a .445 ball, .013 patch lubed with lard/beeswax, over 40 grain FFF for targets.Up to 60 grain FFF for hunting.

I settled on the following in my T/C .45cal Hawken:

Targets/Plinking/Small Game
50grns Goex 3F
Hornady / Speer .440"
T/C .018" pillow ticking

Deer Hunting

90grns Goex 3F
.50cal Oxyoke wonderwad
Hornady / Speer .440"
T/C .018" pillow ticking

I settled on the following in my T/C .45cal Hawken:

Targets/Plinking/Small Game
50grns Goex 3F
Hornady / Speer .440"
T/C .018" pillow ticking

Deer Hunting
90grns Goex 3F
.50cal Oxyoke wonderwad
Hornady / Speer .440"
T/C .018" pillow ticking

I settled on almost the exact loads as Roundball uses. The only difference is I just use a card OP wad in the hunting load. I'm not really sure it needs it but it is insurance that the powder will stay dry from lube. The 45 TC Hawken shoots very well and I can't imagine anyone not liking it.

I see yours is percussion. I have both a flintlock and a cap lock TC Hawken 45 cal. I use CCI or Remington caps interchangeably. I use Tom Fuller or Rich's flints in the flintlock interchangeably.
They are good rifles.

So, when did TC stop making the gun in .45?
I take it, it was back in the 1990s sometime?

This particular gun was not shot and, was in pristine condition. No fouling was seen in the barrel or nipple area. No dents on the stock, no nothing. Wow what a deal! :)

The prices of these guns are rediculous! Buy "used" as you can.
Like in original post...I got one in new condition for $130 tax included.
You Google and find these for $700.

Brain on drugs

I also have the T/C Hawken in .45. I have been shooting .445 with .010 patch. It doesn't seem to matter much on powder charge, I have shot 40,50, 60 and 90 grains of 3f and they all seem to hit close to where I am aiming. I have been getting 2" groups with 5 rounds at 50 yards pretty consistently. This is truly a forgiving rifle! Hope you have as much fun with yours!

I would start low, on the powder charges, and work up - because you might not have a Hawken (unless it's so marked on the barrel).

I have a .45 T/C with patchbox, cheekpiece, etc, that was tagged as a Hawken, that is really a pre-Seneca (the barrel has no model name, just ".45 Cal".

The difference is that the Hawkens have a barrel that measure 15/16" across-the-flats, whild Seneca's (& Cherokeee's/Patriot's) barrels measure 13/16", and they also sport a smaller lock.

The bottom line is that a load that a Hawken can take in stride will beat you and a Seneca up.

My .45 Hawken likes the following load for target practice:
440 Ball
.015 patch
50 grns of 777

For hunting:
T/C MaxiBall
70 grns of 777

Works for me. I know the 777 isn't PC, but it sure is clean... :surrender:

Ditto Roundball's comment on loads. I've had a 45 TC Hawken for 35 years. Deer and turkey, both. However, I find the 1:28 twist a bit fast for RB's and get much better results with the TC Maxi.

Pete44ru said:
I would start low, on the powder charges, and work up - because you might not have a Hawken (unless it's so marked on the barrel).

I have a .45 T/C with patchbox, cheekpiece, etc, that was tagged as a Hawken, that is really a pre-Seneca (the barrel has no model name, just ".45 Cal".

The difference is that the Hawkens have a barrel that measure 15/16" across-the-flats, whild Seneca's (& Cherokeee's/Patriot's) barrels measure 13/16", and they also sport a smaller lock.

The bottom line is that a load that a Hawken can take in stride will beat you and a Seneca up.

I just bought an old T/C Kit gun in 45 cal.The barrel on it only says 45 cal.No mention of Hawken
The local fellow I bought it from did the kit and did a pretty fair job putting it together.I noticed the butt plate has a slightly different shape, and the LOP is one inch shorter than my other T/C Hawken's.The barrel is the same length, and lock is the same.I suppose it's an early model Hawken.He had some 440 ball with the gun and I picked up some 433's to try in it tomorrow.

The guy said he had taken several deer with the rifle, and most of them were taken with the Maxi Balls.I tried a few of the 440's with some patches that came with it, and they were dang hard to get down the barrel. I bought some Ox-Yoke .010 for them and I have some pillow ticking to try with the 433's. I always carry some denim just in case :grin:

Back