• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC 45 cal Hawken value

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would put that gun on an auction site with a starting bid of $400.00. Take lots of pictures. Be patient. This, though is not the time of the year to sell it. Wait until fall unless you really need the money. T/C Hawkens have a good reputation and they are no longer being made, so it's sort of a seller's market. Don't waste your time at a gun show.

If you want a true estimate of value, take a look at auction sites and see what similar guns are selling for. That's how I priced things when I worked in the gun shop.
Thank you Sir. Greatly appreciated.

I live in central Wisconsin and I'm sorry to say that traditional cap lock rifles hold little interest at our area gun shows and their values are similarly depressed. Sadly, showing up at an area rifle range with anything other than a whizbang synthetic stocked scoped inline muzzleloader will draw curiosity from fellow shooters but little else. Our gun shows are filled with AR rifles and "tactical" accessories ad nauseum and it makes me very sad that the generation who appreciated the traditional and/or historical aspect (other than milsurps) are dying off.
Unfortunately this is true. Those inline muzzleloaders with scopes bigger than the rifle shouldn't even be considered true muzzleloaders...OK so you put the pellets in through muzzle. People buy them just to get a few extra days during primitive weapons season. Some states have banned them as primitive weapons.
Back in 72 my buddy & I went to a turkey shoot in NC only shotguns & muzzleloaders were allowed. After we shot for a while only shotguns were allowed...we were told we could still compete but had to use a shotgun. Our side saddle smoke-poles were way more accurate than the shotguns. But back then I don't know if they had rifled barrels for shotguns...I'm sure I'll be corrected.

No need to appologize to me. I wasn't gonna buy it. Glad to see the offers coming in... gives me an idea of what I should ask when the doctor tells me I only have another few months to live.
Thanks for the insight...I have 2 50 cal & 2 45 cal. along with a flintlock 45 cal.

As many have said you have to find people that enjoy n love having these ML's to find a fair priced sale. Example i have a friend who is gaga over the modern style of Ml. He had a T/C Renegade n i asked him about it. The price was free get it out of here, its a pia to fool with. I gladly took this fine .54 home n have been cleaning the surface rust from it

I’m thinking of taking my 70’s/80’s vintage Thompson Center 45 cal Hawken to a local gun show tomorrow.
I’d prefer to trade for a military surplus rifle but really have no idea what the TC might be worth.
Any help would be appreciated.
It’s in excellent shape.
Thanks in advance
How'd you do?
Oh, still not sold.
Always thought that with the TC rifling and 48" twist they'd be jimdandy minie ball shooters.
With a 250-280 grain Lyman or REAL bullet and plenty of powder it oughta be an overkill deer rifle.

I still have mine from that time frame. It's in good shape but my stock is nowhere near as nice a color. I love how she shoots though!! Were it mine at I'd be at $500 with a firm basement of $480. If the Gun Show option doesn't pan out or you decide to sell, please DM as my son would be interested....

I live in central Wisconsin and I'm sorry to say that traditional cap lock rifles hold little interest at our area gun shows and their values are similarly depressed. Sadly, showing up at an area rifle range with anything other than a whizbang synthetic stocked scoped inline muzzleloader will draw curiosity from fellow shooters but little else. Our gun shows are filled with AR rifles and "tactical" accessories ad nauseum and it makes me very sad that the generation who appreciated the traditional and/or historical aspect (other than milsurps) are dying off.
Few remember the 1968 gun laws was a big reason the black powder craze started. This was further fueled by the 1976 Bicentennial. New draconian laws may reignite interest but the trend toward disdain for law in general may have an effect as well. Distrust of government and diminished sense of patriotism will play a role.

How'd you do?
Oh, still not sold.
Always thought that with the TC rifling and 48" twist they'd be jimdandy minie ball shooters.
With a 250-280 grain Lyman or REAL bullet and plenty of powder it oughta be an overkill deer rifle.
The ones I have have a 1 in 48 do great with round balls & mattress ticking but horrible with maxie balls.

I wouldn't ever sell my TC hawken 50 cal it's a tack driver. Back in the 70s I couldn't afford one. I got mine about 15 years ago for 200 I in New shape he realy took care of it.

Few remember the 1968 gun laws was a big reason the black powder craze started. This was further fueled by the 1976 Bicentennial. New draconian laws may reignite interest but the trend toward disdain for law in general may have an effect as well. Distrust of government and diminished sense of patriotism will play a role.
Jeremiah jhonson the movie was a big reason as well

I wouldn't ever sell my TC hawken 50 cal it's a tack driver. Back in the 70s I couldn't afford one. I got mine about 15 years ago for 200 I in New shape he realy took care of it.
The Lyman, Hawken's 50 cal & the 2 Bacciagalupe made in 45 cal are all tack drivers & fun to shoot. Now I cheat & use pyrodex hated swabbing the barrel after every couple of shots...never had a problem using pyrodex...as the Brits would say..."you prick the nipple after a few shots..."

The Lyman, Hawken's 50 cal & the 2 Bacciagalupe made in 45 cal are all tack drivers & fun to shoot. Now I cheat & use pyrodex hated swabbing the barrel after every couple of shots...never had a problem using pyrodex...as the Brits would say..."you prick the nipple after a few shots..."
Swabbing ain't so bad use rubbing alcohol it vaporizes after a minute. Clean your rifle with windshield wiper fluid. I use white lithium grease for patch lube non sparingly used it for deer hunting this year shot good at the end of the day emptying my rifle.
Seems to clean up real easy this way.
I only use Black powder.

I’m thinking of taking my 70’s/80’s vintage Thompson Center 45 cal Hawken to a local gun show tomorrow.
I’d prefer to trade for a military surplus rifle but really have no idea what the TC might be worth.
Any help would be appreciated.
It’s in excellent shape.
Thanks in advance
I've seen anywhere from 200 to 400 and it depends on the condition to.
Don't get rid of a gun your going to kick yourself in the butt for selling later.

Jeremiah jhonson the movie was a big reason as well
Many movies came out of renewed interest in BP which in turn created more interest. May add the apparent dip in quality of very new stuff may increase demand for older quality made items. Adding that TC BP is no more is another value increaser.

Back