• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Little naval carriage

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zulu

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Here is a small carriage I just finished for a 16" long brass barrel. Caliber .58"
It turned out pretty nice.

20230327_142115.jpg

20230327_160653.jpg

20230328_104614.jpg

20230328_111306.jpg

20230328_122701.jpg

20230328_132545.jpg

20230328_134027.jpg

20230328_141925.jpg

20230328_150029.jpg

20230401_161333.jpg

It looks like a beautiful display piece. No touch hole? That would be on my "to do" list! GOTTA shoot it!

I built a similar carriage some years ago for a 1/6 scale 42 pounder. One task I had to spend extra time on was drilling the trunion holes at the slight angle to reflect the splay of the cheeks, and bending the metal of the cap squares to reflect it as well. In the end I gave up on getting the metal to bend right and just welded a half pipe on to flat bar stock.

One task I always struggle with in building boxes and 4-legged anythings is getting all 4 corners to hit the ground simultaneously. My stuff always seems to be "racked" just a little. How did that come out for you, and, relatedly, how did / do you prevent it from happening?

Last edited:
It looks like a beautiful display piece. No touch hole? That would be on my "to do" list! GOTTA shoot it!

I built a similar carriage some years ago for a 1/6 scale 42 pounder. One task I had to spend extra time on was drilling the trunion holes at the slight angle to reflect the splay of the cheeks, and bending the metal of the cap squares to reflect it as well. In the end I gave up on getting the metal to bend right and just welded a half pipe on to flat bar stock.

One task I always struggle with in building boxes and 4-legged anythings is getting all 4 corners to hit the ground simultaneously. My stuff always seems to be "racked" just a little. How did that come out for you, and, relatedly, how did / do you prevent it from happening?
If all four wheels are not touching the ground, the holes in your cheeks are too small. They need to be oversized enough to allow some play. That will solve the problem.

Holes in the cheeks? Which holes? I thought the axels were fixed to the cheeks at the bottom.

Holes in the cheeks? Which holes? I thought the axels were fixed to the cheeks at the bottom.
The axles are fixed to the cheeks but there are horizontal bolts through the cheeks also.
Look at the pictures. Everywhere you see a brass cap nut is a hole. All those holes need to be over sized. If not, the carriage is subject to wracking when you tighten everything up.
I've built 169 cannon carriages. All my naval carriage wheels sit on the ground at the same time. It is because all the holes are over sized.

Aha!. Now I get it! Thank you!

Now, do you have a good solution for gluing up cabinet boxes to not wrack?

Back